Deciding what to do next

Thread: Deciding what to do next

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDeciding what to do next

Buddy has had a six week class in Rally Novice followed by a class in Rally Advanced. During the trials he got dinged for crocked sits and downs and interference. At the trials one of the club instructors worked him and was very impressed with him. Said he will go very far in Rally. She suggested taking additional Novice classes until he is rock solid on leash before going on to Rally Advanced trials and classes. Sounded like good advice.

We also took a four hour Novice Agility workshop this summer. Buddy enjoyed it. During the club run through before the trial we got close to the agility equipment and he tried to go in the tunnel.

The next class session there is one Intro Agility class and another Novice Rally Class. Buddy has had 3 months of sit down front. I am thinking we can do the Rally stuff at home and do the agility class for fun and a break. Any advice or thoughts?
    Last edited by Lab Dad; 08-20-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: awful grammer/spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I wish Buddy best of luck. Sorry I have no advice. Just wanted to say you must be so proud of him.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I think it's wonderful that you are doing this with Buddy. I know you will have lots of fun. I would love to do agility with Dixie, but there is nothing close to us, the nearest one is an hour and a half away. Her trainer says she would be great at it. It's just so far to drive there and back after work. I wish there was something closer to us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

How about a Novice obedience class? Depending on how your rally class was set up, it may or may not really have prepared you for the precision part of Rally. Obedience would fine tune those things. I think sometimes Rally classes try to put too much together too fast, whereas maybe you should be doing 3 steps (or less) and Sit -- guiding him into a straight sit if need be and only rewarding for perfect position.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

labby is offline Senior Member

Is he much of a retriever? Maybe try hunt tests with him.

Laura

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Buddy is a Labradork receiver. He may retrieve inside for several throws, more if Wife is present to grumble about retrieving in the house. Outside if he shows any interest at all it evaporates between cocking the arm and letting go of the ball. I was thinking he may be getting bored doing starts and stops sits and downs and might be happier running for a while. I can still do the rally training at home and try for a tittle later. Right now, he sits and lays crooked. We need to get him into proper position before going off leash.

justine is offline Senior Member

I would jump into an obedience class geared towards competition. I did it backwards and titled Abbey in Rally before I jumped into obedience, where I more or less got my hand slapped for all the body language, talking, etc, I was doing with my dog. A competitive obedience class will definitely help teach correct heel position, whether it's stationary or while moving, and will assist in off leash rally trials once you are into AKC Adv and Exc rally. The most important things I've learned in my obed classes is HANDLING - where to put your hands, which words to use & when, footwork, etc.