First Pool Visit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pool Visit

Meadow is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst Pool Visit

One of the hardest things I have found to introduce Reece to is water. Colorado....good for skiing and hiking....not so much for water sources. There are some options, but some are in busy dog park areas, a long drive, or just not great for a beginner. We are just getting her stomach settled after some issues, so I am also reluctant to hit up the main swim areas in Denver as they have a lot of giardia problems.

So far we have been relegated to a kiddie pool in our backyard and one creek we tried about a month ago. She was hesitant at the creek, which surprised us since she is so gung ho about so many things.

She got her final vacc on friday so we got the all clear to head to a doggie rec pool.

Reece was still tentative. She can swim fine, likes to retrieve, but the transition from walking to swimming seems to throw her for a loop. So each time the gal had to turn her back around towards the toy to remind her she was going to fetch. She also has to be convinced to enter the water more then I thought she would.

I tried to film a bit, but most of the time I had to work with her so didn't get a lot. Each of these retrieves was done with the assistant guiding her in to the water first, just didn't catch that part on film.

Good news though, she was happy through the whole thing. Her tail was up, she zoomed around the upper deck, and she was very excited to fetch.

What I think we need is other dogs. She LOVES other dogs, and if she had them to follow around, she would be over her hesitations in no time. Found out about a good quiet lake to go yesterday. Its an hour drive but I think the fam and I will go up this weekend, and there will be at least one good swimmer dog for motivation there!
    Erin with
    Reece DOB 5/1/2013
    & kitties

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

She swims really well! I bet with another dog in the water she will have no hesitation and you will have to drag her out of the water! Be careful what you wish for, lol. Maybe keep her on a long line in the beginning until you feel sure she will return to you.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Deena is offline Member

Very cute

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Very cute.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

joflake is offline Senior Member

I wish I had a pool like that to take Dixie to. But we do have ponds and other places to swim.

I think Reece will be fine, she's just getting used to it. The other dog should help teach her too.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

She looks great...I want that job

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

She did jut fine!

Seamus and Flynn

Jimmyfan914 is offline Senior Member

She is so damn cute....

Be careful what you wish for. My last YL Buffett was a true water dog. He could find water in the Sahara... then he would lick, roll, splash, pee in it and repeat.

citronella is offline Senior Member

That is brilliant with the doggy pool. She will be a swimmer in no time. I've been searching around in our area as well for swimming locations. Not easy. They closed the gravel pit I used to go to, but I have found another one hoping to get permanent permission from the owners to take the dogs swimming. Right now I'm sneaking in. After 20 minutes of constant swimming they are pooped. Our beagle Tilly just stands in the water to her knees watching them.
    Good luck.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

She did great!!

I wouldn't worry about her hesitation too much....Rukus wouldn't swim for his first year and then it was like a lightbulb went off in his head and we haven't been able to keep him dry since! :P That's awesome that you have a place you can take her with a ramp and training! I'm jealous!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast