Eating non-edible things!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating non-edible things!

yogismama is offline Junior Member

QuestionEating non-edible things!

I'm having an issue with my pup (13 months old). When we go for walks, or if he's not getting the attention he wants at home, he will chew/eat anything (except people food, thankfully). When we go for walks, he'll pick up anything from used napkins to tree branches, and at home if he has a lot of energy, he'll walk around and find something to pick up, from the TV remote to my glasses, toilet paper, anything that shows us he wants more attention. If he gets something small in his mouth, he will lock his jaw shut so we cannot possibly open it. If he has something that is partially in his mouth, if I try to grab it, sometimes he will growl which I do NOT like at all. He's a fun, loving dog, so the growling is really odd. He has never bit anyone, and he is quite affectionate. Any advice would be very helpful!!

Maria & Yogi

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

You need to teach the command "Leave it"!

oakley is offline Senior Member

I'm sure someone with much more experience than I will chime in and give you some advice. But for now, my advice will be to use a NLIF approach. "Nothing in Life is Free" Dinnertreats are earned, you go up the stairs first, you go through a door first, no getting up on furniture/bed. Practice the "Leave it" command.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how much exercise does he get daily and what kind?

how much training have you done with him?

on walks pay more attention to spot things first and train "leave it". (train it at home first!) and also work on drop it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Teach Drop it too. Not long ago, Sophie grabbed my little niece's Barbie doll and took off running with it in the back yard. I yelled: Sophie, drop it! She dropped it like a hot potato, thus saving Barbie and a niece's broken heart!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I will do a trade in the house. If Todd picks up the remote, I say drop it and give him one of his toys. If your dog doesn't know the command, start "drop it" using a treat.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by dstyer65 View Post
    I will do a trade in the house. If Todd picks up the remote, I say drop it and give him one of his toys.
    Sometimes a squeaky toy is good for this. When he grabs something illegal, get a squeaky. The sound is usually enough to make them drop what they've got & go for the toy. You also need to teach & reinforce the DROP IT & LEAVE commands. Reward all positive behavior with treats. Good luck.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

I asked a similar question shortly after I got Mardi in February. She eats all manner of non-food stuff if she gets the chance. I HAVE worked with "leave it" or "drop it" but she was a starving stray and her survival instinct makes anything in her mouth precious enough to fight for. Using a treat as bait to get her to switch is great but only if I have a treat at the moment she grabs something. I have had to train myself to be constantly vigilant and protect her from herself. I never let her free outside unless she is within my fenced area, a good, fenced dog park, or the trainer's fence. I avoid walking her in places like fast food areas because the trash is just too enticing. I almost always manage to yank her away from anything that catches her interest but last week she did manage to gulp a piece of dried poop at a very nice park. Good luck training your dog to give up treasures and keep yourself constantly alert for the stuff that shouldn't be eaten. Try to remember to always carry treats for bait.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with teaching "leave it" , "drop it" , trade etc. And it always worked until there was Tony. If he has something precious in his mouth, he will not trade it for anything. Trying to force the issue may get him to swallow in one piece, then think he may have the trade item too. If I have to take something away, I grab the back of his head, and pry his mouth open to remove it. Not pleasant when he has a bull frog, or chipmunk. I have had the most success with putting away everything forbidden and scattering a lot of toys all over. Yes, I also think they go for the forbidden stuff to get attention, but if they see toys, they usually get distracted. I exercise-walk him on a leash and keep him away from anything he would pick up, no sniffing.

bett is offline Senior Member

you have made the dog into a human thinker. he's probably not doing it to get attention . he eats that stuff, because he can.
    besides teaching either "leave it" or "drop it" you may need to better puppy proof your house, and watch him like a hawk.

and he may need to be exercised more and tired out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast