Leash problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leash problems

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeash problems

I have a leash issue with Smiley. Each time we are going to the vet or we see other dogs, I cannot let him close to other dogs because he starts a fight and I have to pull him back. At the vet he starts barking at all the dogs etc.

I know he has no issues with other dogs when he is off leash. I could see that on the beach as well as in the dog park.

What can I do? I do not punish him because I know that the barking is because of the excitment. However, I want to remove the agressivnes.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

You need to research "leash aggression". It is a topic too big to properly get into here. It's one of those things that may never get better and you need to learn how to manage. I have the same issue with one of mine and I just accept that he isn't always reliable with other dogs when on leash. You learn how to recognize when there's going to be a problem and act accordingly (avoid the situation). You may want to have a few sessions with a behaviourist who knows howe to work with aggression issues. S/he will be able to assess the behaviour and give you a course of action for how to train Smiley for this. Another possibility is that your behaviour is giving him cues on how to behave. That is, you may be demonstrating some nervousness around other dogs and he is taking that as a signal for how to behave. There's no way anyone here can really determine what's happening without being there and seeing how the two of you interact with other dogs and with each other, which is why I recommend getting in touch with a trainer/behaviourist.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above. have you looked into obedience classes at all yet?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Have you looked into obedience classes at all yet?
    Not yet.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Not yet.
    i highly recommend looking asap - next round likely starts in sept so you need to sign up soon. mention this issue when you talk to them

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

i highly recommend looking asap - next round likely starts in sept so you need to sign up soon. mention this issue when you talk to them
    I agree - you will learn so much more than you will get from the internet by being in a class. It's money well spent.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I agree - you will learn so much more than you will get from the internet by being in a class. It's money well spent.
    x100. it is awesome that you keep asking questions and I hope you continue but I doubt any online info can help as you half as much as a really good class and training. Someone that can see teh dog and give you recommendations and show you what to do.

x100. it is awesome that you keep asking questions and I hope you continue but I doubt any online info can help as you half as much as a really good class and training. Someone that can see teh dog and give you recommendations and show you what to do.
    Aren't such classes expensive?

EDIT: I just googled one, $475 :O Petsmart is cheaper
    Last edited by labchris; 08-16-2013 at 12:22 PM.

$475 is ridiculous - or it is for multiple classes or a one on one training program. can you link to it?

Classes range from 60-175 depending on the region. they cost money but honestly, as a newby to dog ownership it is worth much much more than what you pay. part of dog ownership.

I would caution jumping on teh petsmart class because it is cheap - some of the trainers there are not very knowledgable and if you have a dog with leash issues going into a pet store may be a pain in the butt.

Look around, there must be something betweein petsmart and $475.

$475 is ridiculous - or it is for multiple classes or a one on one training program. can you link to it?

Classes range from 60-175 depending on the region. they cost money but honestly, as a newby to dog ownership it is worth much much more than what you pay. part of dog ownership.

I would caution jumping on teh petsmart class because it is cheap - some of the trainers there are not very knowledgable and if you have a dog with leash issues going into a pet store may be a pain in the butt.

Look around, there must be something betweein petsmart and $475.
    One Day Dog = Obedience Training in Your Home

The leash issues are not THAT bad. I have no problems at the vet or at the pet store, except if I let his excitment flow. Overall I have "no issues." But sometimes it just does not work out (between the two dogs), and because of this, I rather meet dogs off leash than when he is on leash. Obviously he likes the young yellow lab of my neighbor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast