Need your advice on Dog Collars

Thread: Need your advice on Dog Collars

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed your advice on Dog Collars

Hi Everyone, Haven't posted in a while. Would like your advice on dog collars. Lilly has had some skin problems recently and seems to have a sensitivity to her collar. We have had so much rain this summer in North Carolina. Everything is so damp. Lots of bugs!!!!She wears a leather collar with a stainless steel ID tag that hangs down a bit on her chest. What type collars do you recommend? I have removed her collar. She seems to feel better, but still has some redness in the area. Taking her to see the vet this afternoon. I would like some identification on her when she goes outside, although her area is contained and she is chipped. Never know when gates will be left open for some reason.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
    Jeanette
    Mom of Lilly, Kate and Ellen
    (Kate crossed over the Bridge August 30, 2012
    (Ellen crossed over the Bridge June 9, 2009)

My precious Lilly....Born: February 13, 2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

If her collar is leather, it could be acid tanned or oil tanned leather. I tend to think that acid tanned could be the culprit. Oil tanned looks "wet" and is usually a darker color, acid tanned will look dry and will be lighter in color. Switch to nylon and make sure that it is loose enough that you can easily slide two fingers between the collar and your labs neck.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

I use nylon and chain training collars for my two. I like this style because they slip on and off easily (no buckles or clasps to fail). Also, the collars come off after outings so they aren't wearing them most of the time.
    Here's a picture of the type I use:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Meadow is offline Senior Member

We really like the nonabsorbent collars especially for dogs that swim a lot. No smell whatsoever and don't seem to irritate. We also usually put a flat name plate on the collar rather then have loose tags dangling for safety sake (just requires poking a couple holes in the collar to install usually).

In the past we went with these Cabela ones:
    Cabela's Performance All-Weather Dog Collars : Cabela's
    Cabela's Cut-to-Fit 5/8" Small Dog Collars : Cabela's

But I have been eyeing this company with the built in tag for maybe Reece when she is full grown.
    Waterproof & Smell Resistant Dog Collars | dogIDs.com
    Erin with
    Reece DOB 5/1/2013
    & kitties

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

I love the collars from Orvis. You don't have to worry about the tags because the name and phone number are already there. They dry quickly and can be machine washed.
    ar
    Personalized Dog Collars / Personalized Side-Release Buckle Dog Collar -- Orvis

Tilly

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I really like Mendota's DuraSoft collar (thanks, Jim/Cappy for telling me about them!). They look and feel like leather. 1 in. Mendota DuraSoft Brown Hunt Dog Center-Ring Dog Collar . $13.95 (Save $5.04) That site also has other brands waterproof collars in other colors. The nice thing about all of those is you just have to wipe it dry. The only negative I can come up with about the material is that it doesn't breath, so make sure to dry the fur under it as well.
    I've heard the soy collars dry pretty quickly. If your girl has some irritation, this might be the way to go since they are pretty soft.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie's new collar is hot pink and has her name and my phone number embroidered on it. We ordered it from Petco. It is a woven nylon. I think it would be a good idea to remove the collar at night. Let the neck rest. Also remove it if it gets wet and dry it out.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    I really like Mendota's DuraSoft collar (thanks, Jim/Cappy for telling me about them!). They look and feel like leather. 1 in. Mendota DuraSoft Brown Hunt Dog Center-Ring Dog Collar . $13.95 (Save $5.04) That site also has other brands waterproof collars in other colors. The nice thing about all of those is you just have to wipe it dry. The only negative I can come up with about the material is that it doesn't breath, so make sure to dry the fur under it as well.
    I've heard the soy collars dry pretty quickly. If your girl has some irritation, this might be the way to go since they are pretty soft.
    I use the same type of collar on Diesel, in blaze orange. I like the way I can just wipe it off when it's wet.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Chris (Kassabella) makes collars to raise funds for bone cancer research. I have them for my 2. I think they're made from cotton? & are heavy duty. You could PM her for more info. Her links are here:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/c...ml#post1854667

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

We use the martingale. Bailey used to slip his collar all the time and our trainer recommended the collar to us.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13