Arthritis meds and diarrhea - advice needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis meds and diarrhea - advice needed

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

QuestionArthritis meds and diarrhea - advice needed

Last time we did a check up at the vets office (last month), they suggested that we put Dozer on Carprofen for the arthritis in his hind legs. We gave it to him for a couple of days and it caused such diarrhea that we took him off of it.

Has anyone else had this happen? Was there another medication that you found that worked without the side effects? Or maybe you just lowered the dosage?

I finally had a chance to call the vet back about it and we've decided to try Deramaxx for a week to see if that does the trick. I'm not really happy about the idea of putting him on medication long term...but I've noticed that he struggles a bit more when going up the back steps to get back in the house.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I just give Judy,11, glucosamine/condrotin. She was limping when she first got up from a rest and was walking slowly a few months ago. I was even taking her on walks separately to go slower for her. Now she seems to be back to normal, walking at the same pace as the youngsters, and no limps. So I suppose arthritis in dogs is like in people, gets better and worse, so Dozer may not need the Deramax all the time, just when he seems to be worse.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Deramaxx upset my Ozzy's stomach after the first week. He stopped eating and had the runs. I took him off of it as soon as I noticed the reaction. I hate to say this because I know some dogs do well on it but I swear that Deramaxx is what led to him dying. 3 weeks after starting it he was gone, he had just had a check up the month before with bloodwork and was perfectly healthy. The only thing that changed was giving him Deramaxx.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    I just give Judy,11, glucosamine/condrotin. She was limping when she first got up from a rest and was walking slowly a few months ago. I was even taking her on walks separately to go slower for her. Now she seems to be back to normal, walking at the same pace as the youngsters, and no limps. So I suppose arthritis in dogs is like in people, gets better and worse, so Dozer may not need the Deramax all the time, just when he seems to be worse.
    We've been giving him both glucosamine/condrotin and fish oil for a couple of years now. I was just looking up the mg of the G/C to ask if I should be giving him more, and realized that I haven't been. Aparently the pills I give him are 750 mg each and the dose is 2 pills. I thought it was 1500 mg in one pill. So...I'll be bumping up the dosage. For an 80 lb dog, is 1500 mg enough?

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rukus&Dozer View Post
    We've been giving him both glucosamine/condrotin and fish oil for a couple of years now. I was just looking up the mg of the G/C to ask if I should be giving him more, and realized that I haven't been. Aparently the pills I give him are 750 mg each and the dose is 2 pills. I thought it was 1500 mg in one pill. So...I'll be bumping up the dosage. For an 80 lb dog, is 1500 mg enough?
    Yes, 1500 mg is enough.
    The ration should be 1500 mg Gluc/1000 mg Chond.
    Have you considered trying Adequan injections as opposed to a daily medication for the arthritis?
    It works wonders for Java....and she rarely has to take a Rimadyl.

I also give her 6000 mg of pure MSM per day (per our ortho vet-standard dose is 1500 mg). It is a natural anti-inflammatory with no side effects. They use what is needed and excrete the rest. It's as harmless as water because it is a naturally occurring compound in the body. The MSM in conjunction with the Adequan shots have all but made Java's arthritis disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Have you considered trying Adequan injections as opposed to a daily medication for the arthritis?
    No, I haven't heard of that before! How often do they need the shots done? Have you had any side effects with it?

I'm a little concerned about a shot vs pills only because Dozer seems to get diarrhea pretty easily and with a pill I can stop giving it to him and the diarrhea will stop. If he gets it from a shot there isn't much I can do until it runs it's course.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Watch out the carpofen (i.e. rimadyl), some dogs have a sever allergic reaction that causes internal bleeding and even death, so if he´s not tolerating it, discontinue its use permanently and never give it again.

The Adequan shots are good, but talk to your vet about other alternatives

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rukus&Dozer View Post
    No, I haven't heard of that before! How often do they need the shots done? Have you had any side effects with it?

I'm a little concerned about a shot vs pills only because Dozer seems to get diarrhea pretty easily and with a pill I can stop giving it to him and the diarrhea will stop. If he gets it from a shot there isn't much I can do until it runs it's course.
    I give Java a shot every 3-4 weeks.
    She has never had any side effects, other than acting like a crazy puppy again. I actually called her ortho after the first shot to ask if there wad crack in it..lol.

I have not heard from any other dog owners about any adverse side effects.
    It's worth asking about.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie has been on the injections for about 6 years. There is a load up of one per week for 4 weeks, then as needed. He used to have them every 6-8 weeks, but now it is every month.
    Tess will have arthritis after the knee surgery, she has it every 8 weeks to try and lessen the degree of arthritis.

Synoquin(Synoflex) is natural and better than Rimadyl. I walk Erns 30 mins a day and swimming is the best. We tried acupuncture and that seems to be working as well. He also had Metacam and Nuerontin now.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Samson is offline Senior Member

Jasper has had Rimadyl twice in his life and both times ended up with severe gastro enteritis !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast