Oh no Smiley!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no Smiley!

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultOh no Smiley!

Oh god! He just got his first angry response from me! I left him alone (outside of the crate) while I was working on my car outside in front of the apartment. I come back, what do I see? The fork, the apple and the paper towels were ALL on the floor. I left that plate on my table after lunch. Obviously he went on the chair and threw that down. I know it is him because there is dog hair on my plate. I cannot explain how that fell down otherwise. Even though I feel a bit bad (and unsure if he was that really because he did not look sad except after I punished him), I think it was him.

Attachment 8103
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Awww, Chris. Give Smiley a break. If that's the worst thing he did while you were outside......SMILE. I think (and this is MY opinion, not gospel) if you don't catch him in the act, you shouldn't punish him. If he did that when you first went out, and you come back 10 minutes later and punish him....he doesn't know that he's being punished for that. You pretty much have to catch him in the act. Again, that's MY opinion. I'm no expert. But I giggles when I saw the pic...

I rather have this than a hidden poop mountain somewhere.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

It's okay. For now. Kathy is right... no punishment if you don't catch them IMMEDIATELY in the act of the transgression.

You will quickly learn that food and your personal items must be placed out of temptation's way! If, from across the room, you spy Smiley approaching the remote control, or your book, or your glasses, or anything else, give him a very sharp "Leave it!" When he stops mid-act, you tell him (don't ask... TELL him) to come to you. Treat him. Treat with "good boy" or "well done, Smiley" or "there's a good dog". And those "treats" are for him coming to you! NOT for his naughty behaviour.

He is old enough to be trained against these puppy behaviours. You just have to take the upper hand. And don't leave food within his reach!

Seamus and Flynn

kaykay is offline Senior Member

consider yourself lucky if thats all he did while being left alone..
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If you had to punish someone in that situation, it should be yourself not him. you set him up for failure, that's not his fault. It is still very early to be giving him so much freedom. you can test see how he does but if he "fails the test" that isn't his fault, it means he isn'T ready.

As others have said, you only punish when you catch the dog in the act. not after the fact.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What your dog did was your fault, not his. Punishing him is the wrong thing to do. While you are getting him to the point of being trained and reliable, you have to imagine what might happen in any given situation and plan/prepare/puppy-proof everything. If you fail to do those things, whatever your dog gets into is your fault.

If you have a crate, use it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Ok. I got it. It is my fault *sigh*. I know that I let him alone other times for a few minutes and nothing has happened. I thought I am just outside for a short time, but it took longer. Whatever. He will just use his crate again.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the above comments. Labbys are fabulous counter surfers. You left temptation down, you are responsible.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Ok. I got it. It is my fault *sigh*. I know that I let him alone other times for a few minutes and nothing has happened. I thought I am just outside for a short time, but it took longer. Whatever. He will just use his crate again.
    Don't be too hard on yourself either. You & Smiley are getting to know each other. It takes time. I'm sure he'll make worse messes. Just love him!! You learned a lesson today. Good boy. Help yourself to a treat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast