Mardi tested positive for heart worm!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mardi tested positive for heart worm!

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultMardi tested positive for heart worm!

She was negative around last January, while in rescue in Louisiana, but my vet just worried anyway because of the high incidence of HW in the South. She put Mardi on Revolution because that med doesn't mask positive tests and planned to test her again in August. Today was the day and Mardi is positive. I live in a high risk area and my previous dogs were on year round preventive and I never thought I would have to cope with 2 months of crate rest. Poor Mardi! I hope I don't get into trouble but I am also going to ask for info on the health and nutrition section also. It breaks my heart to put her through crate rest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Same thing happened to me when I adopted Jefferson. Tested negative in March when he was found, tested positive after I adopted him in June.
    My vet did not put him on crate rest. He was allowed to be in the same room with us, with potty breaks on a leash. He was the only dog at the time, so no one to aggravate him. My vet said to let him do what he felt like doing--in the house. And he paced himself pretty well.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Very sorry to hear that your pup has heart worms. I don't have any experience in this area, but wanted to let you know that we will be thinking about you.
    Keep us posted.
    -Robin

J.R. and June

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    Very sorry to hear that your pup has heart worms. I don't have any experience in this area, but wanted to let you know that we will be thinking about you.
    Keep us posted.
    -Robin
    Me too

labchris is offline Senior Member

Now, this keeps me thinking if I should test Smiley for heartworms? He has been tested negative at the rescue, and his new heartworm pills are due on the 15th.

I do not want to spend money if it is not necessary.

(I live in North California)
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

That stinks for you and your dog. There has been a literal epidemic of heartworm breakthroughs for dogs on preventative down here. Many are having trouble getting the pharm companies to live up to the treatment guarantees, one in particular. The closer you are in proximity to the Mississippi River, the worse it seems to be as far as the incidence of breakthroughs. A rep from Bayer came and spoke at last years HRC meeting about the issue, as there have been so many questions as to the efficacy of the medicines and/or a ivomectin resistant strain of heartworms. I wish I knew the answer.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry to hear about Mardi. Is the rescue going to help with the cost of treatment? Thank goodness your vet retested her so it was caught early.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

I have a very long, specific adoption contract, which I signed. Mardi is my eighth dog, and all but one was adopted. She had tested negative prior to my finalization of her adoption and the information that came with her records specifically urged that I buy pet insurance. It seemed expensive to me and I had never insured any previous dogs. I now fervently wish I had bought that insurance. However, I don't know if there might have been a "clause" excluding HW+ in the future. Even if the rescue would take her back, I would never choose to give up Mardi. As long as I can cope with this bill I prefer that the rescue apply all its funds to rehoming unfortunate Labs. I guess at the age of 69 I am done taking vacations. However, retirement is an eternal vacation and the best part of working! My anguish is about her discomfort and frustration during the long treatment.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I would for sure want to double check that that it was indeed Mardi that was tested in January and get a copy of that. I find it very irresponsible of your vet to give you heartworm medication on a dog they had not tested, especially coming from the South. Not only should he be concerned about Mardi, he should be concerned about the other dogs that might meet mosquitoes that are biting Mardi. I would be livid... absolutely livid.

I sure hope that Mardi is on the up and up again soon.
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 08-13-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about Mardi. I thought the meds could kill a dog if you gave them and they were positive? Is that wrong? I too, am surprised your vet didn't do his own test to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast