How (long) is your daily exercise?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How (long) is your daily exercise?

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow (long) is your daily exercise?

The morning starts with a 20 minute poop walk. In the evening we also walk 20 minutes, but this time it is more like "sniff-n-pee-walking." Finally, we play a round of hide and seek, where I hide peanut butter biscuits all over the place and he has to find them. In the beginning he was not so good at it. He just passed them without noticing them. However, he is making progress and is getting better now.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

That is cute! We don't have a schedule here as I have 3 kids and their schedules are so busy. I just make sure she has as much exercise as she needs. Once they get back to school in a week we'll do our regular walks, morning dog park and swimming.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Mine go for three to four 1/2 hour romps. I have five labs, and each walk they are off leash in my pasture and run according to what they want to do. The one year olds tear around and chase each other almost constantly, and the almost nine year olds chase as they want, or just sniff around or stay by me for pets.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

terry is offline Junior Member

Gulliver has a lot of energy, so in the morning, I take him out to our large empty fields in our development for 30min. or so and he runs like a racehorse and takes a dip in the lake. Then at lunch time, it's usually a 15 minute walk around the block. After dinner, I take him back out to the field for one last run.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

For 7 months of the year Erns swim daily.With his hips he is only allowed a half hour once per day. A few years ago I would do that twice, but now it is one. We play hide and seek games with food, or we hide. He is so funny.

Before Tess tore her knee she would go hiking with me several times a week and at least an hour walk, plus hide and seek and training.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Very very short walk in morning basically around the block.
    Very very short walk at noon around the clock and a bit of backyard play.
    Run around play time when I get home from work at about 4pm.
    Main walk about 6:30-7 pm usually about 1/2 hour.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Mine go for three to four 1/2 hour romps. I have five labs, and each walk they are off leash in my pasture and run according to what they want to do. The one year olds tear around and chase each other almost constantly, and the almost nine year olds chase as they want, or just sniff around or stay by me for pets.
    This is such a great set up. I would love to 1. have that many pups 2. live somewhere with a lot of land to walk them off leash.

We walk ours for an hour every night after work. Their walk consists of fast sprints, lots of sniffing, saying hello to their dog and people friends, a few breaks (laying in the grass and checking out beach life). I always carry cold water for them to drink.

J.R. and June

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When we were still living in Topeka before moving to Lawrence (about 6 months ago), there was a great nature preserve
    only about a mile from our home that was about 1 x .5 mile/ 1.6 x .8 km in area. It has a web of trails that meander through
    woods, meadows, past ponds and streams, and we used to go daily (XC skis, snowshoes, or foul weather suit when
    needed) for a 45 minute walk 2 mile. I always took along a retrieving dummy and, when Puff was younger, would sling it
    intermittently for her to fetch and/or dropped it on our trail and sent her back to fetch while I walked on. In Puff's young
    adult years, she got probably 40 retrieves there a visit, some probably as long as an 1/8th of a mile.

But, as she's gradually aged--she's just turned 12!!--I've gradually cut down the number of her retrieves as well as how far
    she'd have to run back to get the dummy I dropped. She's always offleash until we encounter other walkers (with or w/o dogs)
    we're unfamiliar with. Or skunks.

That was her exercise. Mine involved those walks plus 3 hours/week in the Enhance-Fitness national program (aerobics &
    cardio) for the last 9 years plus dancing 2-4X @ week.

Now in Lawrence, we walk a couple blocks at least 3X daily for pee-pees and potty-ing plus several times a week on the
    Naismith Trail, a nearby sidewalk through a park-like area that's 1.75 miles out and back. I don't leash Puff on our way
    out because she has to stop and sniff and leave replies to every pee-mail message along the trail and that would seriously
    delay our progress. (I DO leash her whenever as we pass other walkers & dogs.) But when we reach the end of the trail,
    I can leash her for the trip back to the start because it's as if every pee-mail message is another article in the local news-
    paper and she's already read that.

Lawrence doesn't have the Enhance-Fitness program that I so much enjoyed but I have joined a local 3 hrs/ week
    aerobic/cardio exercise program and still go to at least 2 dances (6-9 PM) every week.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 08-12-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Whatever amount of exercise, pay attention to the temperature outside. A dog can quickly overheat and hot asphalt/concrete can be hard on the dogs pads. When we're experiencing full sun and high temperatures, I give the boys a few short walks each day.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Diesel usually gets anywhere from 20 to 45 min. every day when I get home from work, depending on how hot it is. It may not sound like much, but believe me...he runs his butt off during that time. He'll get a bunch of fun fetches, and we usually work on some gundog training as well.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast