Livid!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livid!

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

DefaultLivid!

I am absolutely livid right now! Adrian and I had a wedding to go to a few weeks ago in NY, so his parents watched Kai for the day/night. They absolutely love Kai, and are always asking to watch her despite living so far from us! The only issue we have ever had with them, is that they would complain that we "don't feed her enough" and that "she is still hungry" after her meals, as well as trying to feed her people food. Their dog gets table food set in his bowl, which is out almost all of the time. We have explained our rationale countless times, and it seemed like it was finally clicking with them. We felt comfortable leaving Kai with them as it was only for one night, and they appropriately were asking questions about her feeding schedule and exercise needs. They voiced understanding that she is a lab that will eat us out of house and home if we were to let her, and that she has a sensitive stomach so changes in types of food, or having lots of fatty treats will make her sick.

Well, everything seemed to go great! They are the kind of people that view their house as a museum, which is always spotless. So, we figured it went well and that Kai was a good girl when we heard that she jumped up in their bed and they let her sleep between them all night long! Once we got home, we got worried because Kai was refusing to eat her food.. she never does this. We had to literally prompt her to eat, and she got sick one time after her first meal at home. Subsequent meals she was hesitant with, but eventually got back to her normal self (she will literally devour everything, so we were worried and even called the vet).

Fast forward to today.. Adrian is back at his parents' for his brother's graduation party, and left Kai with his parents for a few hours while he went to visit an old friend. He had planned on bringing Kai with him, but they begged him to let them watch her as they missed Kai. Once again, Adrian gave his parents all of the instructions on her feeding, etc, as they would need to feed her lunch (we still feed kai 3x a day). Adrian got back home today, and Kai had already vomited twice, and proceeded to vomit two more times. When he questioned his parents, he revealed that his parents have been feeding Kai the same food that they feed their maltese (I can't remember the name, but it is a wet food that they mix up with all different types of meats), and a WAY larger amount than what we typically feed Kai. He also found that they had fed her a lot of salami, which must have been given as a treat, because he saw large chunks of it in her vomit. When he confronted his parents about this, they responded with "I don't see the big deal. She was hungry"

Not to mention, Adrian witnessed Kai jumping on the table at one point, which she RARELY does.. and his mother PRAISED her.

I am so irritated... and kicking myself for letting them watch Kai in the first place, when I know how they can be. I just can't imagine blatantly ignoring her feeding routine, and initially lying about it until she starts vomiting. Also makes me think, if and when Adrian and I have a child what would happen if we left our child alone with them. Ridiculous. Needless to say, Adrian already respectfully let his parents know that we will not be asking them to watch her anymore. Luckily, we have several friends where we live (which, also lucky for us, is several states over), that have taken fabulous care of Kai, as well as our flying squirrel, Trouble. I had to work this evening, so I was unable to be in NY with Adrian & Kai... I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. I feel so bad for my poor pup

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Deena is offline Member

I would be furious too. No long term damage done per sae, I agree they would not be looking after my bundle of joy again. Sad when you think you can trust someone and they disregard what you have asked of them.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I also understand your frustration. Do you have children yet? (the 2 legged type) I suspect Grandma & Grandpa will have them sugared up and bouncing off the wall. Maybe just supervised visitation? I know that sounds like I'm making a joke, but I'm not. If they can't be responsible enough to follow your directions (whether they agree with them or not) maybe they should only be allowed to visit with Kai when you & hubby are there. Poor Kai. Like Deena said, no long term damage, but she was sick. And Salami?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would be annoyed to.
    The sad thing is some people just can not understand it, and it is sad for them not to have Kai because of this. Even my family who have seen Ernie very sick and know there have been a couple of times I almost lost him due to food he shouldn't eat think meat is o.k. Dogs in the wild eat meat...right..??? The dog I had as a kid ate meat...
    I guess you have to experience it to understand dogs can't eat what ever whenever sometimes.

When people come to the house first thing I tell them is not to feed the dogs. Erns will be sick and Tess may itch. Recently a friend staying feed Tess when he thought I wasn't looking. At least he had the brains not to feed Erns thankfully.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

I agree I would be annoyed also. Obviously if they are not going to follow your food rules she cannot stay there. My mom drives me crazy praising olive when she jumps on her but she is the only one olive jumps on.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

An intelligent and diligent pet sitter is invaluable! I am extremely fortunate to have an entire family willing to make visits and often, usually several of them come together just because they love my pets. Because of Mardi's separation anxiety and very frequent need to piddle I can't leave her free in the house, so I have to take her with me on vacations. The cats are no problem with only two visits a day.

Meadow is offline Senior Member

I am with you, I worry about my family when we have kids as well because pet wise they are the same way. All of their animals beg and eat from the table, have very little manners and no boundaries. We took our pup to my mom's house for the first time last night, and I do have to give her props for cleaning out their dogs food bowl before she arrived (because he always has leftovers), but I don't think I could trust her for more then a few hours with our pup. She mentioned babysitting in the future and I just said "uh huh", but I would use a couple friends I could fully trust first way before I ever fell back on family.

I can't believe after seeing your Kai get sick they still didn't understand the ramifications of giving her food she isn't used to.
    Erin with
    Reece DOB 5/1/2013
    & kitties

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

I think I'd be pretty pissed off, too. I can't blame you a bit.

Fortunately, I've got a good deal for leaving a dog. My sister lives in our hometown (I'm about 4 1/2 miles out in the country), they've got several dogs of their own, and they do dogsitting for people. They're very strict about following the rules for any dog's care. The dogs only get kibble and dog treats, no people food. The toys are plentiful, and there's laps to lay on. I used to leave Deacon with them when I went on vacation, since with his failing eyesight and arthritis, a long drive up north wouldn't have been any fun for him. They took such good care of him for me, and he loved going there to see them and play with his little buddies. They'd never let me pay them anything, so I always brought them back some souvenirs.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

If you don't like the way others look after your dog don't let them look after your dog. Stay home from all of these events and look after him yourself. You should be mad at yourself.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If you don't like the way others look after your dog don't let them look after your dog. Stay home from all of these events and look after him yourself. You should be mad at yourself.
    well that's a bit harsh. These are not strangers they tried, but their parents. They learned their lesson, dog will not go back to there.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast