Clingy

Thread: Clingy

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

DefaultClingy

I hope I don't make too many posts for you guys :/

I read on here that they can get clingy before their first heat but Ivy is only 6 months old and I don't really think that's it. She has been getting more and more clingy every day and before that wasn't her thing. She follows me everywhere I go, will literally come sit in my lap out of nowhere and paces when she wants me to go to bed because she's been sleeping with me lately instead of in her crate. Am I creating a monster, is this something she'll out grow, just her personality coming through or will she really just go through her cycle early?

My other dog was kind of like this but less needy and it was from the day I brought her home. Ivy has always followed me to a point but was still very independent, now it seems like she just wants to be with me every single minute she can and it's not her usual behavior. This is a new behavior for her, especially at this level.
    Last edited by Destinfam5; 08-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I would guess it's just her personality developing. Some are more clingy than others, but clingy is typical of Labs. Mine are all like that, some more than others.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

You can't make too many posts. Posts are what this site is all about Jack is a very "velcro" dog. But he pretty much has been since he was little. I wanted to say young, but at 15 months he's still young. He wants to be by someones side and touching them at all times~unless of course he's running, swimming, playing. I sort of like the clingy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

No problem with the posts.

Many of us have "Velcro" dogs. Tess is stuck to me and doesn't settle if I leave her with anyone. Erns is more aloof.He is a creature of habit and doesn't like change. At night I have to go and sleep with him for a few moments or he keeps coming out barking at me. Like a baby lol.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

I think it's a Lab thing. Not all of them, of course...there's exceptions to every rule, after all. But, from my perspective, both of mine were velcro dogs. Anytime I left the room, they'd have to get up and follow me to see what I was doing. Diesel will even get up and follow me into the bathroom.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Labs like people. One thing you should decide on right here and now is whether you want her to sleep with you or in her crate and chose one or the other.

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

At the moment she's ok with doing both. I don't think she'll like sleeping with me when my husband comes home from his deployment (finally our year will be over in 2 weeks) as she likes space in the bed and my husband is a giant. She hasn't been peeing in the house when left out of her crate all night so if this continues, I'd like her to be able to choose where she sleeps.

Glad to know the clingy behavior is normal, though! I was getting a little worried. The random hugs and kisses are definitely sweet. Yesterday she would literally whine and bark at me if I left the room.