What words can you not say
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What words can you not say

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat words can you not say

in front of your dog? We can't say treat or bye bye in this house. Bye bye is the worst one! She will run to the front door, back to me and repeat this process. Then she'll grab her leash and drag it around. It's such a silly word I wish I could replace it, but then again it's something not found in usual conversation so it's safer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I can't say (or rather, can say but Saba goes nuts for them):
    Park
    Treat
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Who's coming?
    Someone's coming
    Let's go see
    Oh-Oh
    Lets check your ears
    You're going to grandmas
    We're going camping!

And so many more...

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

So many! All the normal ones - Treat, cookie, walk, walkies, run, dinner, breakfast, bye-bye, car ride, etc. We also can't say, Buddy (Bauer's best friend) or Heather (Buddy's mom) because he will immediately think we are going to see them. Most of these things we can still spell, and he doesn't know. He does know that W-A-L-K is the same as walk, and R-U-N is the same as run . . . to avoid any unnecessary excitement (especially if we aren't leaving right that minute) we refer to these things as "adventures."
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oddly enough, I learned early on (beginning with Paddy) to use phrases which would be almost exclusively dog phrases. For example, I would never say to another person, "Want to go in the car?" So that became dog-specific. I would never say to another person, "Swimmies?" So that became dog-specific. Now, "Let's go to the park" could swing either way so we began the spelling game on that one if one of us was going on our own. "Going to the p-a-r-k." Yes, Paddy learned to spell.

My favorite thing, kind of along these lines, is the phrase I use which indicates to the dogs how much time I will be away from them. "I'll be right back", they know I'm going to another room or outside just for a second. They don't move from there places. "I'll be back in a while" means I'll be gone for about an hour... they know this. They know they get treats before I go "out for a while". The big one is "I'll see you after school". On this one they realize I'm going to be gone all day long. This one also comes with treats before I leave. Haha! I say, "Okay! Let's get dressed" and they are all in the bedroom before I am.

I love dog life. I really, really do.

Seamus and Flynn

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Most of the above. Now what I can't do without 3 of them freaking out is put on my tennis shoes and get my sunglasses, WALK TIME!! They all know it and start barking their fool heads off.

MikeE is offline Senior Member

"Swim" or "Bumper" are the two that puts them in absolute freak out mode.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I can't say "are you ready to go?" Or "cookie" And of course all the standard--dinner, breakfast, walk, outside.
    On the flip side, mine know: it's time for bed (they run into the bedroom and go to their dog beds) I've got to go (it is time for me to leave for work--they go to their respective areas and wait for a treat. Go to your room, (again, they run to my bedroom) It's time for me to get ready--means I am getting in the shower and they go lay on my bed while they wait for me to get out of the shower, as soon as I am out, they take off for various parts of the house. It is kind of cute--it is like they have to guard me while I shower.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson'n'Ted View Post
    It's time for me to get ready--means I am getting in the shower and they go lay on my bed while they wait for me to get out of the shower, as soon as I am out, they take off for various parts of the house. It is kind of cute--it is like they have to guard me while I shower.
    That IS cute!

Seamus and Flynn

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If I say "oops" in the kitchen, they all come running expecting the food that I dropped.

"To the bank" gets them excited to go for a car ride where treats are given at the drive-through window. They must think that the bank is a place where treats are distributed.

"Slooowly I turned... step by step" gets Judy excited. It's a chase game that I play with her one on one. She grabs a toy and runs from me as I chase her. Tony must have overheard because I just said "slowly" and he went nuts jumping on me.

labchris is offline Senior Member

My dog does not have such a thing so far. He only comes to the kitchen if I am there for more than 5 seconds. Especially, if he hears that I open a drawer (this is where all the treats are).
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast