Ferocious bark?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferocious bark?

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFerocious bark?

Anyone else have dog with really deep and scary bark?

Twice Ivy has scared people at my door, then they were shocked to see it came from a little 6 month old puppy. It's funny because she is SO friendly but she knows this is her house and she gets very angry when people knock on my door. She only gives a little woof if they ring the doorbell, but she pushes the blinds out of the way and loudly protests if they knock. Of course barking stops once I open the door and she's ready to lick with her tail wagging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Labs will give warning barks. But that's about as far as it goes. If my house were to be burgled, my two would likely aid the thieves by holding the flashlights.

labchris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    Labs will give warning barks. But that's about as far as it goes. If my house were to be burgled, my two would likely aid the thieves by holding the flashlights.
    …and wag their tails!
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Todd has shown his scary bark too! It's deep and is preceded by a low short growl. But just like Ivy, he ends up tail wagging and licking away. He did it the other night when we were outside, alone in the dark. I'll tell you, it was somewhat comforting!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

DBO
    DBO is offline Junior Member

It's always difficult to predict how any dog will protect their own house and domain when faced with unfamiliar faces, especially if you're out of the house. I also seem to think that our lab would rather say "Let me give you a hand carrying that TV to the truck. By the way, the cookie jar on the bench there - I'd like to have it when you're done if you don't mind." On the other hand he's also quite capable of giving a menacing bark if someone unknown to him knocks on the door.

The thing that worries me most with him being blind now is how he might be treated if someone does come to burgle us. Burglars aren't exactly known for the kind or humane ways.

Having a bad day? Stop to think of a wet nose and floppy ears like velvet - all will be better from therein!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

So very true. At 7 years old and a Lab/Border Collie mix, Emma has barked more times but it is still a rarity. I think I have heard Maxx do the "deep", "scary" bark 4 - 5 times. Like Cam's 2, both of mine would show you where the "good" food is and wait for belly rubs. Thank goodness for security systems, lol.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

If their bark is anything like Caleb's, it'll stop a burglar in his tracks. And, honestly, that's all I want. We had a service tech ask me if I was sure it was OK to come in after hearing Caleb at the back door. Of course, once he was in the house, the biggest threat to him was a face washing and possible missing tools. Then just last summer, someone we hadn't seen since we moved from camp knocked on the door. By the time I got there and opened the door, he was half way to his car. He was convinced we had a pitbull, and wanted to be close enough to jump onto his car if it came out after him (he'd never been to the house before and wasn't sure we were still living here).

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Good question. Our dogs have a pretty loud bark when someone comes to the door. I am not really sure what the female dog would do if someone tried to come into the house. She can be kind of bizzaro sometimes.

J.R. and June

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I have the opposite situation. Luci's bark sounds like a yappy little dog. ugh.

Way back when I had the old crew, I woke up to some serious barking and growling at 3:00 am. Apparently my ex's brother was drunk and just came wandering into our house to raid the refrigerator (he lived next door). He didn't get too far past the front door, and Cheater was jumping up and down barking in his face. Meanwhile Roxie was standing a few feet back with teeth bared and a very scary growl. And this was a guy they were used to seeing and played with regularly.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

While Jack can bark loudly and deeply, he never barks at anyone at the front door. If I were to get robbed, he'd help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast