Going to swim soon?

Thread: Going to swim soon?

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultGoing to swim soon?

Hello!

Soon, I will have more time! I plan to go to a dog beach. However, I am not sure if it will be cold (windy) or not. Is it still ok to let him into the water?

What to do with the ears? The vet told me, only to care if they get stinky after we were in the water (You know, if it is not broken, don't fix it!).

Any other tips?

Thanks.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine will go in even if there is still ice in the water. If it is cold, I don't leave them outside too long, bring them in as soon as I towel dry them. I just towel dry ears and don't clean them unless they smell or they shake head or scratch them.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sometimes at the beach they can take in a little too much water and can have diarrhea. Called purging so don't worry if this happens. I take fresh water with me. Mine go when it is cold or windy.
    Have fun.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Siren gobbles the water as he swims. I haven't taken him and probably won't take him to anywhere with salt water. He's been in our pool, the lake and the brook behind our house. No matter what temp. He loves it.

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
    Siren gobbles the water as he swims. I haven't taken him and probably won't take him to anywhere with salt water. He's been in our pool, the lake and the brook behind our house. No matter what temp. He loves it.
    Ivy is the same way! She's done this since she was about 3 months old (6 mo now) and it used to scare me! Now I just ignore it because I can't stop it. I do have to say it's quite hilarious to see a dog jump into the pool, swim around in a circle and gobble up the water as they're doing it.

OP- just dry him off after he gets out and he'll be fine!

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

The only thing I'm careful about in the the cold weather is that I dry off his bum really good... Nobody likes cold tail.
    Amy

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Yeah, labs' coats are designed to offer a level of protection from the cold. Think of how a wetsuit works - it allows a layer of water to be trapped between your skin and the garment. Bodyheat will warm up that layer and keep it warm while keeping most of the outside cold water out. It's similar with Labs and cold water isn't an issue - mine swims in the winter too when I'm up north.

Jack swallows water ALL the time when we're out swimming. I see him gobbling water every few minutes. We spend an hour at the beach and then another 2 hours outside just so he can pee it out. There's been times before where after a 25 minute car ride from the beach Jack would get out of the car and pee for seemingly minutes non-stop. I have no clue how he holds that much urine and how he's able to drink so much. He's like me with beer!

labchris is offline Senior Member

Ok thanks. So I will just rub him dry (when we are at the car again)
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    So I will just rub him dry