Industrial slime?

Thread: Industrial slime?

loratw619 is offline Junior Member

DefaultIndustrial slime?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, so please excuse me if I don't get this exactly right....but I really need to ask other lab owners a couple of questions.

First, do all labs have incredibly thick, sort-of-slimy saliva???

I've had dogs all my life....and I'm over half a century old now. Over the years I've had Boxers, Great Danes, Dobies, German Shepherds,...and even a toy poodle once. But I've never seen anything like this in my life! My new baby, Disney, is the first lab I've ever owned. She's a little over 8 months old now, and the goo just keeps coming. Though she doesn't drool at all, she leaves a slick slimy coating on anything she mouths...including me....and everything else in the house and yard. If you've ever seen the movie "Turner and Hooch," that's my Diz, only without the shoe string drool.

Is this normal? I have to change the water bucket (a 5 gallon job) twice a day because there's about an inch of goo that settles to the bottom of it if I don't, and my other dog (an older deaf Husky mix) will dehydrate before he'll even go near it. He has no problem licking his butt all day, but her slime water is just too much for him. Go figure. It must taste even worse than it looks.

Diz went to the vet today to be spayed. She weighed in at 83 pounds, and she's not overweight at all....probably because her energy and enthusiasm went over the rainbow at about 3 months of age and never came back. So much so that her nickname is "the blond bombshell." And she lives up to it every minute of every day. Picture "Marley" on meth and you'd be getting close.

I've been told by others, who weren't lab owners mind you, that labs calm down and become the best dogs in the world around age two or three. So I'm wondering (and praying)....is that true? Granted I'm older now, so I no longer have the "oomph" I used to have, but she's easily the most high energy pup I've ever owned. Hands down. But she's also so sweet, so loving, and SO anxious to please you could squeeze her to death if she'd sit still long enough to let you. She's my baby for sure, and I can see that "best dog in the world" in there somewhere. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

I'm really looking forward to input from other owners. Diz is totally unique...at least to me. But I'm wondering how much of it is breed, and how much is just my baby?

Thanks for all help,
    Lora

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You will probably get more informed responses, but I have never seen any of my Labs drool like Hooch, that is, when there is no food involved. I have had six Labs and the first four drooled very little. Bruno drools large puddles whenever he sees food, but never at any other times. Tony also drools for food, but much less than Bruno. It's worth asking your vet; Diz may have a tooth problem. I hope not. It may be just individual variation.
    It's true that they settle by age 2. I have never had a really wild and crazy pup until my 10 month old Tony. Labs are so exuberant, they sometimes have trouble being calm enough to focus, especially as puppies. The solution is to tire them out (walking, swimming, repeated retrieving) . A tired Lab is a good Lab. Your blond bombshell will soon grow up to be the best dog in the world.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa drooled big goobies like a dripping tap. Hers was much stickier than Erns or Tess. Erns doesn't drool much and Tess does the running tap when I tell her to leave her food while I am putting it on the floor. Never notices in their water bowl, but that could be because they have a bucket because Tess puts her whole face into the water and makes a terrible mess.

I think some have more energy than others. Erns has always been the energiser bunny on crack. If Tess was any more laid back she would be in a coma. For me keeping them tired mentally and physically works the best most times. Sometimes Erns can have a long walk, and a swim, and still find the energy to chew something or get up to some other antic.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I've seen some labs drool a lot and others hardly any. Libby didn't drool very much, but she also left the slime in her food bowl and water bowl, the same as your pup. My other dogs don't have that sticky slobber. I don't know why. I had to use a scouring sponge to get her bowl clean, soap and water just didn't cut it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I've seen some labs drool a lot and others hardly any. Libby didn't drool very much, but she also left the slime in her food bowl and water bowl, the same as your pup. My other dogs don't have that sticky slobber. I don't know why. I had to use a scouring sponge to get her bowl clean, soap and water just didn't cut it.
    I thought that slimy feel was left over greasiness from their food. I pour boiling water into their bowls after they eat and let them soak before washing them. Never entered my head to think it could be their slimy tongues. Tessas doesn't get as bad as Erns. He has metal bowl and she has a plastic tray.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Samson is offline Senior Member

I've had experience of St. Bernards where you empty their bowl and the first inch or so is water but the last two inches are pure slime, but like the others, never to that extent with my two other than sticky bowls.

Energywise, that is nothing new as my friend has an 18 month bitch called Pippa and she is a lunatic that won't stay still as well ! She also pants ALL the time - been checked with the vet and it seems it's just her way.

My two drool, Jasper only a little and Dylan like a tap, but only when there is food visible ?