Scariest moment with your dog - stories
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scariest moment with your dog - stories

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

DefaultScariest moment with your dog - stories

Post your scariest moments with your dogs and what happened.

More than a year and a half ago and two weeks after I rescued Jack (he was 15 months old at the time) he was sitting on my balcony on a nice summer day. I broke out the vacuum to clean the place. Once I got near the open balcony door, he bolted up and jumped over the balcony railing! Just like that, no hesitation. I live on the second floor.

I was in shock. I ran to the front door, opened it and started to get out onto the landing when I see Jack come up to the stairs, walk up to the door, get back inside the house and place himself on the couch. He was asleep 20 minutes later like nothing happened.

He ended up jumping from a height of about 15 feet (including height of hand rail) and landed on a slightly sloping patch of grass below. Not a limp, not a sprain, not a thing. He's since gotten used to the vacuum cleaner. It must have been a curious sight to see when all of a sudden a 65 lb black dog goes flying from the balcony, lands, gets up and goes back inside the house.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

That is so funny after you get over the initial shock!

FLEA is offline Member

August 29, 2005, my then 10 year old chocolate lab Spud and I had stayed to ride out what would become the worst storm in american history, hurricane Katrina. At about 8:00 am or so, I really had no track of time, the water had risen to the point where it blew in my garage door and started to enter the house. By about 8:30 or so my roof flew off and spud and I were huddled on the second floor as the water continued to rise and the wind was howling at i would guess was well into the 200 mph mark. What I came next cannot be imagined. The remaing walls of my house collapsed and spud and i were left clinging to part of my floor. It was at this point that he (spud) took his leap of faith. I watched as he was washed away. With all the debris flying and the wind and waves there was no way he could live. Hours later as the wind and water died down did i saw the true magnitude of this storm. My house was gone, my town was gone(Literally washed away) and spud, my best friend and hunting buddy, was gone. Days went by as I started to clean up and pick through the debris for any sign of our "STUFF". Long story short as my then 7 year old daughter said, "Dad , lets close this book and open up a new one and start chapter 1". Well a month went by and one day I noticed a sign on a telephone pole that said "FOUND CHOCOLATE LAB". I though there was no way it was spud but i checked it out anyway. I drove to the house and the workers there pointed me to the back poarch. There on the back poarch was the rail thin, beaten - up lab. I called his name...it was Spud!! He had somehow made it through the storm all be it battered and bruised. I scooped him up and drove him 2 hours to Baton Rouge, that was the nearest big city with a vet. After alot of TLC and staying awake for nights on end, Spud made a full recovery. He lived another 4 years and passed away in my arms at 14. I miss you buddy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLEA View Post
    August 29, 2005, my then 10 year old chocolate lab Spud and I had stayed to ride out what would become the worst storm in american history, hurricane Katrina. At about 8:00 am or so, I really had no track of time, the water had risen to the point where it blew in my garage door and started to enter the house. By about 8:30 or so my roof flew off and spud and I were huddled on the second floor as the water continued to rise and the wind was howling at i would guess was well into the 200 mph mark. What I came next cannot be imagined. The remaing walls of my house collapsed and spud and i were left clinging to part of my floor. It was at this point that he (spud) took his leap of faith. I watched as he was washed away. With all the debris flying and the wind and waves there was no way he could live. Hours later as the wind and water died down did i saw the true magnitude of this storm. My house was gone, my town was gone(Literally washed away) and spud, my best friend and hunting buddy, was gone. Days went by as I started to clean up and pick through the debris for any sign of our "STUFF". Long story short as my then 7 year old daughter said, "Dad , lets close this book and open up a new one and start chapter 1". Well a month went by and one day I noticed a sign on a telephone pole that said "FOUND CHOCOLATE LAB". I though there was no way it was spud but i checked it out anyway. I drove to the house and the workers there pointed me to the back poarch. There on the back poarch was the rail thin, beaten - up lab. I called his name...it was Spud!! He had somehow made it through the storm all be it battered and bruised. I scooped him up and drove him 2 hours to Baton Rouge, that was the nearest big city with a vet. After alot of TLC and staying awake for nights on end, Spud made a full recovery. He lived another 4 years and passed away in my arms at 14. I miss you buddy.
    Oh my! Your story literally made me cry at my desk. I couldn't even imagine your anguish. I'm so glad you found each other again.

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    Oh my! Your story literally made me cry at my desk. I couldn't even imagine your anguish. I'm so glad you found each other again.
    Ditto. It made me hug my pup which surprised her because we were supposed to be playing fetch and she really wanted her ball!

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLEA View Post
    Wow. That's amazing!!

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I'm grabbing the tissues too! So glad you found him.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Wow. Glad Spud's story had the happy ending.
    Never mind any other scary stories; they're nothing compared to this.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

When my 2 y/o has his first siezure. I had never seen one before.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Back to the OP - I think I would have had a heart attack if I saw my goober going over the balcony! Glad Jack was ok!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast