How to tell when your Dam is approaching her first heat?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tell when your Dam is approaching her first heat?

Carbajal is offline Junior Member

QuestionHow to tell when your Dam is approaching her first heat?

Hi,

My husband and I are first time Lab parents. We have a chocolate. She is 9 months old and I am curious to hear from other owners when is the typical heat period for Labs? The internet research is very vague and says it varies from breed to breed. Most sites say to monitor the vulva, however our girl has an "inny" so to speak which is why we didn't have her fixed before her heat. Our vet recommended us let her have her first heat then fix her since we do not have plans for breed. Thanks for your help.

Jenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

did you ask the breeder? they know their lines and may be able to give you feedback on what age their female usually come into heat?

It can vary greatly from dog to dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Labs came come into season anywhere from 5 months to over two years of age. They tend to follow when their mothers, or theirs lines do. Mine all seem to come in around 10-12 months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

BTW - the Dam is your girl's mom. Yours is a bitch or just a female.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Carbajal is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info on verbiage....

So we didn't have the opportunity to establish contact with the breeder. We responded to an ad from a guy who bought her from a breeder when she was 6 weeks old he decided he didn't want her. He had all her paperwork. I have tried to find the breeder however the AKC doesn't have a directory. We contacted the man we bought her from recently to acquire the breeders info and he said, he would be in touch. I guess we will have to just monitor her closely. She just hit 9 months. Thank you for the feed back.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Look for a swollen vulva. She may lick herself there a lot. She may get clingy toward you. Sometimes it can just be a surprise! (with my lines, I can tell by behavior weeks if not a month in advance, without regard to the calendar). Pat her vulva with a white tissue once a day if you suspect she is close so you can detect the first day.

Eta, my males will tell me a month or more in advance of a heat, based on their behavior. (keeping in mind, I have spent a lifetime in animal behavior, from reptiles to mammals to birds).
    Last edited by Belles mom; 08-06-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

labby is offline Senior Member

As the others have said, it depends. My line tends to develop more slowly so it's rare for them to have a season before they are a year of age. Usually the first sign they are close is a change in the nipples. They'll go from non-existent to becoming little nubs. The vulva will start getting a bit larger too, innie or not. You can wipe her vulva with a clean, white tissue every couple of days to check her.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Do you have her papers? If so, the breeder name is on the papers. Obviously their address isn't there, but you can try Googling the name and the town they live in and see if their contact info comes up.

Laura

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Moka had her first heat at just under a year old, her second around 18 months old.
    It was easy to tell with her-she turned into a whiny, clingy bitch a couple of weeks before. Well, she's always a whiny, clingy bitch...but she was 10 times worse before her heats.
    Drove me CRAZY.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

You'll most likely just need to be patient and wait and watch. There aren't any MAJOR signs beforehand. You'll see swelling, you'll notice blood and there you go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast