Hamilton ate a mushroom

Thread: Hamilton ate a mushroom

judiz is offline Senior Member

DefaultHamilton ate a mushroom

Quite a scare last night, my son came back from walking Hamilton and told us he grabbed and ate one or two mushrooms growing on the neighbor's lawn. I called our vet but they had already closed so the voice mail directed me to call the 24 hour animal hospital nearby. Called them and they gave me the number for poison control. Called poison control and they told me to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. Did and although Hamilton vomited, did not see any mushroom. Called poison control back and they said to bring him to animal hospital. Went to Oradell Animal Hospital, they decided that since no one knew what type of mushroom Hamilton ate, they induced vomiting again but still no mushroom. The vet decided to treat Hamilton with charcoal to bind any toxins, they also started him on a medication to prevent any toxins from damaging his liver, he will take that medicine for one week. The vet took blood, we go back on Wednesday for more blood work, they will compare last night's blood numbers with Wednesdays to see if there are any changes in the liver function. We were given the option of bringing Hamilton home last night or keeping him overnight in the hospital for observation but we chose to bring him home. He was tired but we saw no other ill effects, he slept with us all night and this morning was hungry. Will update as week goes by.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I don't have any experience with my dog eating mushrooms. We will be sending good thoughts your way.

J.R. and June

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

That is so scary. Sending good thoughts and prayers for Hamilton.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

How scary I hope everything comes back perfectly fine!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Good Lord. I've been to that hospital. Sorry about your wallet!

I hope he is fine - did you go back to the neighbor's lawn to see if there were any more mushrooms there? Maybe you can identify what he ate.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

How scary. Sharon had a good idea. If your son knows which one it is, maybe that'll help the vet. Poor Hamilton, hope it turns out fine. Your poor son must feel awfull, he may need an extra hug.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Good Lord. I've been to that hospital. Sorry about your wallet!

I hope he is fine - did you go back to the neighbor's lawn to see if there were any more mushrooms there? Maybe you can identify what he ate.

We offered to pick a mushroom and bring it with us last night but the vet said there was no one on staff who could tell a poisonous mushroom from a non poisonous so they treated as if Hamilton took a toxin. The vet offered to keep Hamilton overnight for observation but it would had cost us over 2,000 to do so and since he was stable, he bought him home and only paid for the treatment he received which was quite an amount anyway.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Hamilton. Hope he feels better and the mushroom was harmless. Good thoughts for him.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

A while ago, and again since then, Mardi ate mushrooms growing in my yard. Of course, it was on a weekend the first time. I searched the web and did not find any comfort. However, I decided to watch her for neurological symptoms and bolt to the emergency vet if any symptoms appeared. I reasoned that there were so many mushrooms on everyone's lawns in the neighborhood that I would be aware if any dogs had suddenly become sick. I think the cost of emergency care is a sin and if I were a vet I think I would open an emergency clinic and not rip people off. I used to work 7 PM to 7 AM as an RN and I could deal with the hours. It is cruel to overcharge people as badly as emergency vets do. I also fault emergency vets for not being aware of the type of mushrooms that grow in area/neighborhood lawns. I would have reacted much differently if Madri had eaten a mushroom out in the woods.

Good news!!! All follow up blood work came back normal and Hamilton's liver is functioning normally.