Food sensitivity!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food sensitivity!

kcma is offline Junior Member

DefaultFood sensitivity!

Hi everyone! I have a question.. does anyone here feed Blue Buffalo food? Just looking for some feedback on the food. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

not a favorite of mine. I was never able to get a firm stool with the dogs when I fed this. I went back to ProPlan and the stools were firm immediately.

Laura

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would not feed it.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kcma is offline Junior Member

What would you recommend? He is currently on Gastro Intestinal by Royal Canin from our Vet. Its not working at all! My lab can't eat chicken and he needs something for sensitive stomachs and digestion. He has had gas for 3 months straight now and I mean non stop gas out both ends all day 24/7.. We've tried a month of probiotics from the vet and that did nothing and this food was suppose to be great hasn't done anything. He is going for xrays to see about a blockage but I need a new food as well. I want something like a fish or venison diet with no soy, wheat, grains, chicken by product meal or chicken at all and no corn as well.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Look into Orijen. They have a fish formula that I feed my guys. It's grain free (one of mine has allergies) and they do well on it.

Dry Dog Food | Orijen

lilypi is offline Senior Member

We feed blue buffalo wilderness and are completely satisfied. Without the grain, Maddox's coat has gotten very shiny and he has less dander.
    Laura & Maddox

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcma View Post
    What would you recommend? He is currently on Gastro Intestinal by Royal Canin from our Vet. Its not working at all! My lab can't eat chicken and he needs something for sensitive stomachs and digestion. He has had gas for 3 months straight now and I mean non stop gas out both ends all day 24/7.. We've tried a month of probiotics from the vet and that did nothing and this food was suppose to be great hasn't done anything. He is going for xrays to see about a blockage but I need a new food as well. I want something like a fish or venison diet with no soy, wheat, grains, chicken by product meal or chicken at all and no corn as well.
    You may have better luck than I do as I live in N.Z. At the moment there is nothing we can feed Tessa. I have been feeding her home cook/raw with fish tapioca and above ground vegetables with vitamins. She is doing well, but not sure long term it is good for her. As soon as I try another dry food she flare up and I have to take her off it.
    I recently tried the new chicken feather one and it upset both mine. It is the latest allergy food and being hydrolysed it is suppose to break down the allergens so it doesn't effect the dogs.

There are 2 I have seen and both by Royal Canin. The Sensitive sC21 which is Duck and Tapioca, but has hydrolysed poultry proteins so not sure this is any good. There is Whiting and Tapioca sC24 which I think is hard to get.

You could try some of the fish and potato ones. Eukanuba has one, which was ok for Tess for a little while, then she started itching again. I am not a fan of Eukanuba, but when there isn't much they can eat I feed whatever keeps them stable.

I have a dog with IBD and these are possibilities for him as well as Tessa with her itchies.

ETA. I was at my wits end with Tess so tried the Nutriscan Saliva test. It was a waste of $170.00. Tess is highly sensitive and it came back negative. There are so many variables which can effect the test which are not mentioned in the web site.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-05-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

Mardi is my 8th dog and one had pancreatitis and 2 others had food allergies. One of my 3 cats has numerous environmental allergies. Guess I am just lucky! I have used Spectrum Lab to test for allergies and although it is expensive I had to do something to help the poor animals. Recently, I had Mardi tested and she is allergic to beef, alfalfa, soy, tomato and potato. The lab sends a detailed list of commercial and prescrition foods that are OK to feed the animal that is tested. Mardi is now completely switched to Eukanuba Pure Chicken recipe and she is finally having decent stools. She feels better abnd so do I. Seven of my 8 dogs were adopted and they all were eating absolute cr*p when I got them. The first, a Dalmatian I bought from a breeder, I fed supermarket food because I didn't know any better. I mean--like Gains Bergers! This was back in the 60's and I don't even know if better food was available back then. Fortunately, she never had digestion problems.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

How many times are you going to ask about Blue Buffalo? This is the 3rd one I found.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    Look into Orijen. They have a fish formula that I feed my guys. It's grain free (one of mine has allergies) and they do well on it.

Dry Dog Food | Orijen
    I feed Acana, made by the same manufacturer that makes Orijen.

Sounds like he needs a grain free, chicken free diet. Diesel had the same kind of issues you are describing. The Gastro formula diet should be a temporary thing only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast