Dock Diving, Anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock Diving, Anyone?

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

DefaultDock Diving, Anyone?

A year ago I posted about going up to the Scheel's store in Sioux City for their annual hunting and waterfowl expo. I took pictures of the dock diving dogs at the Super Retriever Series pool, and talked about all the hunting gear to be found there.

Well, it's that time again. The expo is tomorrow, and the SRS pool was there today. Since I got off work early today, and they had open fun jumps, me and Diesel headed up there to see how he could do. I borrowed my sister's minivan (gets much better mileage than my Expedition), loaded up dog and gear, and away we went.

Man, did we have a great time! Diesel got the hang of the dock and exit ramp real quickly. There were only about six dogs there when I got there, one being the cutest little 14 week old Golden Retriever pup. The two guys running the pool were great, giving me lots of good advice on how and when to throw the bumper. We were there for an hour or so, and Diesel probably jumped about 15 times. He was so excited! It got to where a couple of times he would exit the pool with his bumper in his mouth, shake himself off, then run down to the stairs and back up on the dock, where he'd spin around a few times and expectantly wait for me to get up there so he could go again! He did pretty good, too. He was jumping 12 to 14 feet pretty regularly, and had a couple of 16 foot jumps. I do believe that next year I'll take him up again and enter him in the amateur division.

After jumping, I took him back to the van, toweled him off a bit, gave him some water and treats, and crated him up. Then blotted some of the water out of my jeans...I was pretty well soaked from the thighs down, and went into the store for some shopping. A front came through today with rain, so it was pretty cool out, and I could leave him in the van for a bit without it being hot. Heh...I didn't buy a single thing for myself. Diesel got two new collars, a rubberized blaze orange one to replace the one he was wearing (he's had it for a couple years now, and it's getting sun faded and cracking). I love these collars. They don't soak up water or anything, and you can just wipe them off with a towel. And he got a nice camo nylon collar for goose hunting. Plus, I got him two new black Kongs, to replace the ones he's fast destroying.

Sorry, no pictures this time. I had my camera, but I couldn't find anyone to go up with me to take pics, and the folks there were busy with their dogs. As for me....well, I was on the dock.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

That sounds like a lot of fun. I bet Diesel is sacked out now.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    That sounds like a lot of fun. I bet Diesel is sacked out now.
    Yep. Sprawled out on the floor, sound asleep.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

That sounds like a great time!!!!

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he (and you ) had a great time!! Next time we want pictures!!!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Wow! Those are some nice long jumps, especially considering he's never done the dock before! Deez sounds like a natural.

Seamus and Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Wow! Those are some nice long jumps, especially considering he's never done the dock before! Deez sounds like a natural.
    And Diesel thanks you for the compliment.

He's dock jumped before, off the boat launch dock at Harris Lake in Wisconsin, so he's somewhat used to it. This was his first time on a regulation length dock and pool, though. Once he got in the swing of things, he was consistently hitting 12, 13, 14 feet...right in that range. And, like I said, he had a couple of really good jumps, getting right out around 16 feet. I was impressed, myself...but I figured he'd do well. He is such a solid, muscular boy. There's not much fat on him, and when he runs you can see the muscles rippling on him. He's in pretty good shape...I wish I was in so good of shape. And, he has a really high prey drive. When it comes to fetching that bumper, he's just totally focused. One piece of advice the guy at the pool gave me was when I get down by the end of the dock, to toss the leash off down by the ramp. He said that when I held my hand up reinforcing the "stay" command, it was distracting Diesel. He said that if I got rid of the leash, he's be totally focused on the bumper. And, that bit of advice worked really well! The first couple of times I tossed the leash away, Diesel would follow it with his head, then look back at me. After that, it was like he didn't even notice...he never took his eyes off me and the bumper in my hand. Also, by then he knew what he needed to do. He wasn't creeping forward on "stay" anymore. It was like his butt was nailed to that dock until I released him. That's when we started getting the really good jumps.

There was another guy there, with a beautiful 2 year old black Lab named Zink. He was another good jumper. Even when he stopped at the end of the dock, and then jumped, he was still getting 10 or 12 feet. That boy had some legs on him! His owner and I ended up seeing each other in the dog gear section in the store, and stood there talking about our dogs for a bit. I think we may have both found a new passion for our dogs...besides hunting, that is.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by D Bros. View Post

Sorry, no pictures this time. I had my camera, but I couldn't find anyone to go up with me to take pics
    Don'tcha just hate that? I rarely get pics of my dogs doing things. I bring out my camera and lens and people back away from them, totally intimidated. They won't touch it even if I set everything for them.

Laura

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

That is really cool. It sounds like you both had a blast. I have only been able to get my black lab (male) to jump off of the dock once. He is a bit scared.

J.R. and June

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean when you say Diesel was so excited. That's how Bruno gets when he dock jumps. He would jump over and over as long as I throw something for him. Judy and Tony...just spectators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast