Changed Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed Food

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultChanged Food

I changed the dog's food from Purina one to Kibbles and Bits. Last night Parker got me up three times to go, this was after he left me mushy presents in the kitchen and dining room. And he was hyper as heck, like he ate a two pound Hershey bar or something else sugary. I let him out around 1 3 and then 5. At 3 I went out with him and sat on the swing. He then gets his LOUD squeaky Wubba and proceeds to squeak the heck out of it all over the yard and want me to throw it, bouncing around in the dark. I yelled at him to get in there which he didn't so I left him out there alone in the dark for about 15 minutes at which point hubs went down and the little shit pranced right in.

Could the kibbles and bits be causing the diarrhea and hyperactivity.

Peg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Kibbles and Bits id not a quality food. I would go back to the Purina One.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Of course it is. It would be like giving your kids a whole crap load of Captain Crunch instead of real food and then wondering why they are hyper.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

LOL! Did you read the ingredients before you switched? Regular old Dog Chow is a better choice than Kibbles and Bits.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Mombear, feed whatever works best for your dog. Dog food is a religion/voodoo for many here. Stick with a food for a while to let your dog adjust. If after several weeks your dog is still having issues cycle another food in.

labby is offline Senior Member

Kibbles N Bits is mostly sugar. So yes, is the answer to your question.

I normally say feed what works, but that food is crap. His body is telling you it's crap.

Laura

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Would you want to subsist on a diet of junk food? Wait, don't answer that.

Meadow is offline Senior Member

I didn't know they put corn syrup in dog food, thats a new one for me....

But yes, more sugar and starches and possibly food colorings could cause hyperactivity. Any dog food changes should be done over minimum a week period gradually mixing, 14 days if possible, so if you changed too quickly that definitely could cause the diarrhea.

______

Kibbles & Bits Original formula ingredients:

Corn, soybean meal, beef & bone meal, ground wheat, animal fat (BHA used as preservative), corn syrup, water sufficient for processing, wheat middlings, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), titanium dioxide (color), calcium sulfate, yellow 5, red 40, yellow 6, BHA (used as a preservative), DL-methionine.

Purina One Large Breed Ingredients:

Chicken, brewers rice, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, soy flakes, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pea fiber, oat meal, soybean meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, glycerin, calcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, caramel color, potassium citrate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), ferrous sulfate, sulfur, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), biotin, sodium selenite.
    Erin with
    Reece DOB 5/1/2013
    & kitties

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Kibbles N Bits is mostly sugar. So yes, is the answer to your question.

I normally say feed what works, but that food is crap. His body is telling you it's crap.
    OK, OK, in this one limited case this food discussion isn't religios/voodoo. I checked the ingredient list. Corn syrup is the fifth ingredient. Ugh! In this case I join the religious/voodoo people. Run away from this food.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Is this a joke?
    It is, right?

Tell me you're not seriously asking this question...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast