ANOTHER FLEA QUESTION
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER FLEA QUESTION

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultANOTHER FLEA QUESTION

Has anyone here tried Seresto flea collars? Jack has been having an ongoing problem with fleas. Frontline stopped working. Parastar turned his fur white and still didn't work. I just called Dr. Pol's office (as in The Incredable Dr Pol on TV) and they recommended Seresto flea collar. It's suppose to work for 8 months, or in a dog that swims a lot, 5 months. Just wondering if anyone has tried this. Does it work? Pro's, con's...thoughts? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have not used flea collars in years. Do any vets in your area carry Vectra 3D? It is topical like Frontline and works very well. The Frontline stopped working for me several years ago. BTW, did the white go.away from the Parastar?
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 08-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I switched from Frontline also a few years back, and went to Vectra 3D. My new vet's office doesn't carry the Vectra 3D. I just got a new Frontline product for my Corgi called Frontline Tritak but darn, it seems expensive. $66 for a 3 pack. Todd is currently on Advantix 2 as I still had one left for his weight, and he is over the weight limit for the Tritak. I have yet to see any fleas or ticks thank goodness.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If you use a flea collar, be sure to check his neck skin to be sure there's no reaction.
    My SIL had a terrible flea problem last year and went to Comfortis (monthly pill) and has had no flea problems since.
    For the last few years, none of mine have had fleas and I don't know why. I check them regularly with a flea comb. If they don't have fleas, I see no reason to give them preventative.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I only use the topical Vectra 3D.

My question is has anyone noticed after using this that the fleas like to feast on you? It's like they jumped off the dogs and bit me the last time I used it on them.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I have not used flea collars in years. Do any vets in your area carry Vectra 3D? It is topical like Frontline and works very well. The Frontline stopped working for me several years ago. BTW, did the white go.away from the Parastar?
    I always thought of collars as a waste of time/money, but might give this a try. I did google the Vectra 3D and love that it repels biting flies and mosquitos as well. There is a once a month med that works for heartworm, hook worm, round worm, and fleas. My last dog took it (this was at least 15 years ago, but I've checked and they still make it) but it doesn't include tics. I need to research if they are a problem in Mid-Mich.
    And yes, by Monday his fur was all back to normal. Thanks for asking

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    If you use a flea collar, be sure to check his neck skin to be sure there's no reaction.
    My SIL had a terrible flea problem last year and went to Comfortis (monthly pill) and has had no flea problems since.
    For the last few years, none of mine have had fleas and I don't know why. I check them regularly with a flea comb. If they don't have fleas, I see no reason to give them preventative.
    That's another one I never heard of ~ Comfortis. Will check into it. You are lucky to have no flea dogs. Last year we did Frontline Plus and all was well. But we've been fighting a loosing battle the last 2 months. I've done enough vacuuming and laundry for 6 monts!!

I have not had a flea on either dog since starting the Vectra 3D, not even in the house. They would end up on my cats if there was any around since I don't use anything on them, they don't go outside. Maxx hasn't had any problem with it bur Emma did get hives so she was switched to Advantix. When I talked to the vet about Emma he said the reaction was not very common. It could have been something else but I did not want to take any chances.

I am glad to hear Jack's fur lost the white stripe!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Well, the Seresto collar was quite expensive...$46. I tried it because Dr. Pol's office recommended it. It worked borderline well for about 3 weeks.....that's a long way off from 5-8 months. So today I'm off to buy Vectra 3D. I found a vet about 20 miles away that does sell it. Wonder why it's not sold on-line or in stores? When I called the vets office, she said to keep him dry for 48 hours before & 48 hours after...we got the 48 hours before. 48 more hours and keeping fingers crossed. The company that makes the parastar that left a big white spot on Jacks' fur and did nothing for fleas did reimburse the $20 I spent on it. Hope the Vectra 3D works. Why do I seem to be the only one fighting fleas? I feel like a "bad Mom", like I'm doing somthing wrong. But I've vaccuumed, laundred, sprayed.....spent about $120 since July....I don't know what else to do. If this doesn't work......

Kathy, I will be shocked if the Vectra does not work. I have friends in my area that were fighting a losing battle with ticks and fleas. They finally decided to try the Vectra and the problem was solved. When Frontline stopped working for me the Vectra worked like magic. I have never talked to anyone who did not have success with it. I am not sure why it is not sold online, my vet is only a mile from me so no big deal here. I would drive 20 miles for it though.

My vet has never mentioned the not getting wet for 48 hours before and after. I usually keep Maxx out of the water for a day or so afterward, just to be on the safe side though. ( I definitely don't doubt the advice.) Good luck and please let me know how you make out.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast