Smiley is still not healthy :(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smiley is still not healthy :(

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultSmiley is still not healthy :(

Today, I was at the vet again. This time his right front paw is swollen. It seems that there is an infection, so I have to keep the wound open so it drains. I feel pretty sad.

I am pretty sure he will be healthy soon . On some occasions, the feeling of being afraid of losing him (in general) is pretty high. Any advice on this?

Thanks.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Everyone handles it differently, but I know where you are coming from. The first year I had Diesel was pretty rough. Endoscopy at just 9wks old to remove a collar he'd swallowed at the breeders, really bad bout of gastroenteritis a few months later, aspiration pneumonia had him in the ICU at the E-vet, then the little usual things like his face blowing up like a football after being bitten by some kind of bug, he vomited constantly his first year until I realized he can't handle grains in his food and switched him, I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting but those are his "highlights".

Don't mean to scare you with any of these, keep in mind every dog is different, some just have that bad streak of luck attached to them but it fades after awhile. Biggest thing that helped me honestly was this place. I learned after the first few non-emergencies how to gage what's truly an emergency, got advice from others that had gone through similar things. It's a great place to learn, lean, and vent. I've had dogs since I can remember, and only one other dog had this many issues.

It is a lot to deal with right off the bat for you with Smiley, but the best thing you can do is just breathe, stay positive, and instead of wondering what's around the corner that may send you back to the vet start focusing on all the joy he brings and the good times ahead. I fear I didn't enjoy Diesel's first year as much as I could have and wished I had stayed a little more positive.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Sorry about Smiley's foot. Hang in there. Jack being a BYB dog....I DO worry, every day, about he could get sick. He could get hurt (whether he's BYB or AKC...that's life) I don;t think it's unusual for the fear of loosing him (in general) to be high. But focus on the possitive. I'm fairly new here and didn't know about Diesel's first year until just now when I read Diesel_Dawg's post....that is a heart warming story and I hope it comforted you

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    that is a heart warming story and I hope it comforted you
    At first I read "heart worming" story, and I was like whaat. Haha, but yeah. I try to think positive. Maybe it is just a phase in the beginning
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    At first I read "heart worming" story, and I was like whaat. Haha, but yeah. I try to think positive. Maybe it is just a phase in the beginning
    LOL....heart wOrming was the other thread

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to add I still make mistakes now & then and freak out over small things, but I'm nowhere near as bad as I was before and had he not started out that way perhaps I wouldn't be so quick to run to the vet. Kathy is absolutely right that no matter what their health history or good or poor breeding, we love them so we are bound to worry to some extent. But all the worry and inconvenience at times is totally worth it!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Hang in there! Rescue dogs frequently come with issues, not always apparent at first. Smiley has found an excellent, caring owner with you, and I am positive that everything will turn out well. Your love for him is appreciated, and he will return it tenfold!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Today, I was at the vet again. This time his right front paw is swollen. It seems that there is an infection, so I have to keep the wound open so it drains. I feel pretty sad.

I am pretty sure he will be healthy soon . On some occasions, the feeling of being afraid of losing him (in general) is pretty high. Any advice on this?

Thanks.
    Most rescues encounter some medical issue initially. I had a rescue puppy who had tapeworms. She thereafter was one of the healthiest dogs I ever had. I recently fostered a golden x who had a really terrible URI (probably pneumonia) and he is doing fine now. You need to just take care of him and know that he will be fine.

And try not to be so anxious. Your dog will pick up on that and you don't want him being anxious too, do you?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

This reminds me of my experience with Jack. he was a rescue as well and I had an issue after issue, given they were small but they were not apparent during adoption.

I also still freak out about small things (see my dragging foot thread) which turn out to be nothing, however much less so than in the first year I had him. He also settled in nicely and the issues stopped. You will get there as well.

Yeah. He is such a nice dog. Even though he is sick, there is no way he would not eat peanut butter biscuits or smoked ham (only for meds, but sometimes I give him two)!

I reduced the amount of food to two cups (2x one cup) since I give him that much other stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast