Need advice on an embarrassing incident with Todd.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on an embarrassing incident with Todd.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed advice on an embarrassing incident with Todd.

Ok...here goes. I took Todd over to my daughter and son-in-laws new house. My elderly parents were visiting from PA and wanted to see their new house. So I had Todd on a leash, and was helping my parents get in....and Todd went in the house and immediately lifted his leg on my daughters kitchen chair! I yelled to startle him, and immediately ran him outside where he walked around a bit and peed outside. We went back in and I still had him on his leash, was showing my parents the house and he lifted his leg on the bed in the guest room! Again, I yelled to startle him and again took him outside where he didn't pee. I took him back in on leash and he didn't do it again. But I never let him have a chance to do it, he was on leash with me the whole time we were inside.

Fast forward to my house a week later. My girlfriend and I were watching a race on TV on Sunday. She brought her older neutered black lab over. Her black lab was laying in my chair while we were watching the race. He got down and was laying on the floor, Todd got up went around to the back of the chair and lifted his leg and peed on the chair! Again, I was shocked! Todd has not had an accident indoors in months! And when he peed on the chair, it wasn't alot.

All of the places where he lifted his leg were cleaned with Nature's Miracle. He does not have a UTI. I took a urine sample into my vet's office and it was clear. My vet suggested neutering him and I advised him I was waiting until he is done growing.

Any advise on how I can put an end to this behavior? We do travel alot with the dogs in tow, and I really want to continue to be able to go places.

Thanks,
    Debbie
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He's marking and this is a behavioral issue you can correct with training. Neutering does not stop marking.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

He's like a toddler. Mine, mine, mine! lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Be aware of the behavior and be ready for it. You should be able to see him think about doing it. When you see that THINK, you tell him no. Roughly. NO!! If he gives you the doggy finger and does it anyway, then I would have a come to Jesus meeting with him. I had two intact males with females coming in season and I will say that neither male ever lifted their leg in the house nor have they ever lifted their legs in anyone else's house. Why? Because they know their wieners would be a pretzel by the time I got done with them. I don't allow my boys to lift their legs wherever they want, not even at dog shows.

Laura

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Be aware of the behavior and be ready for it. You should be able to see him think about doing it. When you see that THINK, you tell him no. Roughly. NO!! If he gives you the doggy finger and does it anyway, then I would have a come to Jesus meeting with him. I had two intact males with females coming in season and I will say that neither male ever lifted their leg in the house nor have they ever lifted their legs in anyone else's house. Why? Because they know their wieners would be a pretzel by the time I got done with them. I don't allow my boys to lift their legs wherever they want, not even at dog shows.
    Honestly, dogs understand this more than they understand "no no pretty poochy, no pee pee in the house" with a sad face and a high voice. Leash him up, keep him by your side, assume he's going to try to pee on every corner and chair and be aware. Most boy dogs are crafty little shits...

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Yep! Each of my guys tried it once when we first got them. I corrected him with a loud, mean NO!! and shoved him outside, and it never happened again. When I take them places like the vet, groomer, boarding facility, etc. where other dogs have marked, I watch them like a hawk and the instant I see them even thinking it, I tell them NO! and pull them to my side, put them in a sit.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Because they know their wieners would be a pretzel by the time I got done with them

Thank you everyone for the advice and techniques. Laura, you have given me hope that I can manage this! It just started and I'm going to nip it in the bud...all while leaving his "buds" intact.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13

Jimmyfan914 is offline Senior Member

My dog Buffett once pooped on a fish tank at Petco...all the little fish were in awe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyfan914 View Post
    My dog Buffett once pooped on a fish tank at Petco...all the little fish were in awe.
    ROFLMBO - I bet they were!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast