Flea treatment bleached hair.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea treatment bleached hair.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultFlea treatment bleached hair~FALSE ALARM...sorry :(

I thought I had one more application of Frontline Plus for Jack, but when I looked for it yesterday I couldn't find it. I drove into town to the vet's office to purchase one application. They don't carry Frontline Plus, they carry Parastar~she said it's the same thing only a genaric form of it. Look what it did to Jacks fur. Anyone else ever had this happen? I hope it's not permanant. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it looks awfull. If it's still there Monday, I'll call the vet. Just not sure what to do with it, Frontline never did this.
    011.jpg013.jpg
    Any thoughts, suggestions?
    Last edited by KathyArch; 07-27-2013 at 09:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Oh my gosh. I'd wash that out for starters. I've never seen a flea treatment do that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Oh my gosh. I'd wash that out for starters. I've never seen a flea treatment do that.
    Yeah, I should have thought of that! Not sure why I didn't, but good call. So after reading that, I washed him good and it's still there. I've tried to reach Parastar's customer service, but apparantly they are only open Mon-Fri. I did get a call back from my vet~she said as long as it's not hurting him, wait until Mon, then I can bring him in if I want. If I want??!!! I want the stuff she sold me not to bleach his fur is what I want. !!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

On no - I would be washing that off too and calling the vet or maybe there is a number on the packaging. Also, look it up and see if the website site says anything about that happening. That surely does not look right to me.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Oh No. "if you want" statement from the vets had my eyes popping. Hope you get some answers. I would be calling the number on the package to have it noted in case others have had the same problem. I wouldn't leave it to the vet to do that.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

Crap! I would be so pissed. I'm so sorry

I really hope it's nothing serious and somebody can at least give you a darn answer.

Well, I just called Vet again and talked to actual vet this time (as opposed to receptionist or nurse or whoever takes after hour calls) and she says it's a residue and it will dissapear in a couple days. Like the Frontline leaves a greasy type residue, this leaves a white one. So if that's the case, I paniced over nothing and sort of regret the "reviews" of parastar that I left on both their website and petmeds web site. Oops. Well, maybe they should warn people in advance. Still not sure why it didn't wash off...... Thank you everyone for your help and concern. I feel silly now. I'm a very neurotic Mom. I just love this guy so much, always worried something is wrong with him or he'll get hurt, etc. etc.

Garth is offline Registered Users

When I saw the thread title, I thought you put flea treatment in your own hair & bleached it!

I just googled the side effects. You might want to read this page. (It's a PDF so you might have to update your Adobe).

http://www.parastarpluspet.com/view/...tInfoSheet.pdf

In particular, these 2 bits:

HAZARDS TO DOMESTIC ANIMALS. WARNING.
    For external use only. Do not use on
    puppies under 12 weeks of age. Individual sensitivities, while rare, may occur after
    using any pesticide product. Dogs may experience some temporary irritation at
    the site of product application. If signs persist, or become more severe within a
    few days of application, consult a veterinarian immediately. If your dog has an
    unusual reaction to the initial application, consult a veterinarian before repeating
    treatment. Certain medications can interact with pesticides. Consult a veterinarian
    before using on medicated, debilitated or aged dogs
    HOTLINE NUMBER

Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control
    center or doctor, or going for treatment. For more information on this pesticide
    product (including health concerns, medical emergencies or pesticide
    incidents), you may call 1-800-637-0281
    More Google links here:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...ox-a&gws_rd=cr

My guess is there's a chemical in that brand she's allergic to. I recently got my 2 a different brand of tick collars. I only changed brands because the new ones last 3 months instead of 2 like the old brand. I soon noticed Bear was starting to lose hair around his throat & the skin was turning red. Took the collars off both of them immediately & went back to the old brand when his skin got back to normal. I was told by one of my vet nurses that some dogs are allergic to that brand but it's a very small % & Bear happened to be one of them. Buzz was fine so go figure.

classiq is offline Senior Member

Really sorry about this. If the vet knew, why didn't she tell you? Isn't that her job to inform the dogs owner about the products she's selling? I know mine would have.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

How awful! If it doesn't disappear in a couple of day, a little Lady Clairol?

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast