I thought I had one more application of Frontline Plus for Jack, but when I looked for it yesterday I couldn't find it. I drove into town to the vet's office to purchase one application. They don't carry Frontline Plus, they carry Parastar~she said it's the same thing only a genaric form of it. Look what it did to Jacks fur. Anyone else ever had this happen? I hope it's not permanant. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it looks awfull. If it's still there Monday, I'll call the vet. Just not sure what to do with it, Frontline never did this.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
Last edited by KathyArch; 07-27-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Oh my gosh. I'd wash that out for starters. I've never seen a flea treatment do that.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
On no - I would be washing that off too and calling the vet or maybe there is a number on the packaging. Also, look it up and see if the website site says anything about that happening. That surely does not look right to me.
Oh No. "if you want" statement from the vets had my eyes popping. Hope you get some answers. I would be calling the number on the package to have it noted in case others have had the same problem. I wouldn't leave it to the vet to do that.
Crap! I would be so pissed. I'm so sorry
I really hope it's nothing serious and somebody can at least give you a darn answer.
Well, I just called Vet again and talked to actual vet this time (as opposed to receptionist or nurse or whoever takes after hour calls) and she says it's a residue and it will dissapear in a couple days. Like the Frontline leaves a greasy type residue, this leaves a white one. So if that's the case, I paniced over nothing and sort of regret the "reviews" of parastar that I left on both their website and petmeds web site. Oops. Well, maybe they should warn people in advance. Still not sure why it didn't wash off...... Thank you everyone for your help and concern. I feel silly now. I'm a very neurotic Mom. I just love this guy so much, always worried something is wrong with him or he'll get hurt, etc. etc.
When I saw the thread title, I thought you put flea treatment in your own hair & bleached it!
I just googled the side effects. You might want to read this page. (It's a PDF so you might have to update your Adobe).
In particular, these 2 bits:HAZARDS TO DOMESTIC ANIMALS. WARNING.
For external use only. Do not use on
puppies under 12 weeks of age. Individual sensitivities, while rare, may occur after
using any pesticide product. Dogs may experience some temporary irritation at
the site of product application. If signs persist, or become more severe within a
few days of application, consult a veterinarian immediately. If your dog has an
unusual reaction to the initial application, consult a veterinarian before repeating
treatment. Certain medications can interact with pesticides. Consult a veterinarian
before using on medicated, debilitated or aged dogsMore Google links here:HOTLINE NUMBER
Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control
center or doctor, or going for treatment. For more information on this pesticide
product (including health concerns, medical emergencies or pesticide
incidents), you may call 1-800-637-0281
My guess is there's a chemical in that brand she's allergic to. I recently got my 2 a different brand of tick collars. I only changed brands because the new ones last 3 months instead of 2 like the old brand. I soon noticed Bear was starting to lose hair around his throat & the skin was turning red. Took the collars off both of them immediately & went back to the old brand when his skin got back to normal. I was told by one of my vet nurses that some dogs are allergic to that brand but it's a very small % & Bear happened to be one of them. Buzz was fine so go figure.
Really sorry about this. If the vet knew, why didn't she tell you? Isn't that her job to inform the dogs owner about the products she's selling? I know mine would have.
How awful! If it doesn't disappear in a couple of day, a little Lady Clairol?
Seamus and Flynn