How do you know which is the "gimpy" leg?

Thread: How do you know which is the "gimpy" leg?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you know which is the "gimpy" leg?

Seamus is in the early stages of old age arthritis. He's 10+. At his last vet visit (April), Doc thought it was his rear left leg that was giving him some trouble. I thought so, too.

But I watch him move and he seems to favour his right front leg. Like it's the sore one. I kind of disregard unusual movement first thing in the morning... at a certain age we're all a bit stiff when we first get up. At that time of morning, I see Shea use his massive upper body to carry the load of the arthritic hind leg(s). Doc says this is why Shea "hunches" his back a bit.

But when I get home from work, and I know he's been doing the older dog layabout thing, and it's time to take him out for some exercise, I see him limp a bit on the right front leg. Just at first... he gets his gait within a few minutes.

I can't tell at this point which leg or legs are the ones giving him a bit of distress. The right front leg? That's the one he has always curled the paw on, since he was a baby. He licks it a lot now, but not in a distressed way... just licking. I've checked that paw and pastern... no distress upon palpation.

How do you (can you?) isolate which is the poorly limb and which is just aching from compensation of the poorly one?

Okay. That's all I can think of right now. TIA

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

might just switch off, like an old man.
    i know rex does. his back legs are screwed up, from lousy breeding but his neck sets off his back and both front and rear, sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I don't know how you can tell unless it's obvious. When Shadow had her torn muscle, it was on the opposite side from what I thought I saw her favoring. The vet said something about when they bob their head as they walk tells him which side it is. It's been about 7 years, so I'm very fuzzy on what he said.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Thank you, both. He does seem to do a "switch off" thing. That's why it is difficult for me to know where to treat a leg. And so, I treat them all. Shea seems to enjoy that, so there we are.

Seamus and Flynn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    Thank you, both. He does seem to do a "switch off" thing. That's why it is difficult for me to know where to treat a leg. And so, I treat them all. Shea seems to enjoy that, so there we are.
    That's all that matters.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Could it be that his front right leg is sore from putting more weight on it? Just thinking about a dog's gait, it would make sense that if the left rear is sore, that more weight would go on the right front.