weird behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird behavior

Castaway is offline Senior Member

UnhappyHELP needed with weird behavior!

We had an incident a few days ago with Abby our younger dog. She had tunnelled out of the garden. It took 24 hours to find her; she had got into a big metal barrell 3/4 full of very dirty stagnant water,in the olive groves probably whilst seeking water,it seems she must have fallen in and couldn't get out. She was in a bad way as she had been holding herself up with her front legs over the top of the barrell for 24 hours. Obviously it was 24 hours of hell for everyone; the morning that Abby was missing, Cheka, the older dog, who doesnt play with toys normally,apart from occasionally when she has mad moments with Abby, started bringing me the toy rope, which normally Abby carried around. It was a half hearted effort, anthropomorphosising, (sp!?) it looked like she was trying to make me feel better by doing what Abby did, or filling the gap that Abby left.
    Whilst we were out searching for Abby we took Cheka to help search, so she was there to see the relief at finding Abby alive if weak, scraped and battered. Once home of course there was a lot attention heaped on Abby, cleaning her up, treating her wounds etc, she was in shock and exhausted. I noticed then Cheka's behavior had changed, she was hanging back staying away especially from Abby to whom she had been very closely bonded, I put this down to insecurity caused by all this excitement and worry. Today I noticed something i cannot explain. When I went to make Cheka move out of my way so I could pass, she wouldnt, because Abby was in her way. I would describe it as fear (she is quite a fearfful dog about somethings) then I tried several things to test this, calling her to me to sit by me, she wouldnt if Abby was near, calling her for treats; she made a giraffe neck to get the treat to avoid being anywhere near Abby. What has gone on in her head to cause this?! I did wonder about Abby's smell, but she has been bathed as she has many times after mud baths with no change in Cheka's behaviour, smelling of medication? Maybe but again not the first time...Im really perplexed and at a loss as to how to restore the status quo. They had such a fantastic relationship. I dont want to give her affection as i dont want to reinforce her fears...........HELP! Any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by Castaway; 06-15-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't have any answers for you, I am just glad you found Abbey and she was mostly ok. I hope someone is able to help you with your current problem.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I think that your first instinct was correct.

Their noses are so finely tuned !

Time will tell !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Oh my gosh, how awful. I'm so glad you found her and she is okay. I think you should just let them work it out. Perhaps the older dog senses that Abby is not 100%. How could she be after that? I'd just let them be and I think she'll come around when Abby gets back to her normal self.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

What a horrible, horrible nightmare for Abby!

I have a different take on Cheka bringing you Abby's toy while she was missing. I think Cheka was trying to indicate she knew Abby was missing... "where is she, momma? where is my dog that smells like this toy??"

I will go with Abby's odor being "off" for Cheka, even with the bathing. I guess I'd try to get normal routines re-established as quickly as I could.

My heart goes out to you and Abby. I hope she is her regular self again SOON!

Seamus and Flynn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I think Cheka realizes that Abbey is weak and not back to normal yet and is being careful of her 'little sister.' Once Abbey is feeling herself again, I'm willing to bet Cheka's behavior will return to normal as well.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

joflake is offline Senior Member

I also think with all the fussing around Abby, Cheka might not understand why the humans were acting the way they were and sensed something was wrong, she probably just hasn't figured out yet whether it's all okay.

Joflake, I think you are right about the fussing, I think that because she is quite fearful she might see this as something to worry about . I am going with the idea that one life is back to "normal" it will level out. I do hope they get back to their old relationship. Its horrible to see her jump out of the way every time Abby comes near. Other thing is that Im trying to keep the collar od shame on Abby as much as possible as she is licking her wounds on her legs too much, that must make her look odd to her. Going back to the smell,the wounds on her leg are infected hence anti biotics and hibiscrub , I am thinking the bad smell of the wounds ( she was stuck in stagnant water for 24 hours) rather than the medication might also be a factor (they are starting to get better now).May 12 abby lost (Large).jpgDSC03343 (Medium).JPG
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

That was an awful experience for the family. Glad she is OK now. Please keep us posted and let us know when their normal relationship resumes.

I know feeling bad for Cheka is counter productive, but this is so sad to see this dog jump away from what was her soul mate! Its going to be a while before life is normal, Abby has the collar of shame to stop her licking her wounds on her legs and is having a hibiscrub wash each day....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast