Important dog behavior video - please watch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important dog behavior video - please watch.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultImportant dog behavior video - please watch.

Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Good video.
    Jefferson--my mellow fellow--does the avoidance thing. He immediately removes himself if the grandkids plop down next to him. He hasn't exhibited the other behaviors, but I am cautious with him. I don't think he would bite or even snap--but he might growl to warn them away. And since he can't tell me how he is feeling, I try to keep the kids away from him when they visit. When he moves away from them, I make them leave him alone.
    Teddy--nervous, cautious, terrified of strangers--loves them and will try to put his head in their laps, and constantly try to touch them in some way. He lets them look in his ears, look at his teeth, play with his tail. I am very cautious with him also, because he is more unpredictable than Jefferson.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I like this video because the dog's reactions are so subtle that unless she pointed them out, most people will not see them. It's very illustrative of what you need to watch out for - even in a nice dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Great video, Sharon, thanks for sharing. This is exactly how my Emma acts around children and most men. I am very careful when I am walking her, everyone knows and loves Maxx and the feeling is mutual and kids just don't understand why they can not pet Emma also. Maxx has a "fan club" of 6 little girls that come by almost every day and ask to take Maxx in the backyard and play with him. He has a blast with them and on the days we don't see them he looks for them every time we go outside.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Good video. It's so important to know your dog's body language. Also important to teach children to avoid dogs they don't know, no screaming/running around strange dogs, no hugging dogs. So many dog bites can be avoided. I wish schools would teach this along with other safety programs.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Very informative. My friends daughter has a 5/6(?) month old, and a HUGE dog. Advice please, should I send her this video, or because they had the dog when the baby was born is it a total different situation? The baby is about to become very mobile in the next few months, so that if the dog leaves, she can follow. I wouldn't want to offend the Mom, but this dog is big, not sure what kind but I'm guessing it has Great Dane in it. Friendly, but he could do a lot of damage in just the blink of an eye. Never mind. I think I've made my decision. The Mom will be getting the link to this video right now. An ounce of prevention and all that. Sorry about the babbling.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Good video but in it how easy would it be for one person to interact with the baby and observe some of those subtle dog indications of discomfort? Not, I think. Which is why videos like this are so good, they offer a third person perspective that might not be possible in real life.

KathyArch, I bit the bullet and brought up my concerns with my sister. Sis is a new grandmother, baby Jack is not two months old yet. Sis's dog is lovely, sweet, gentle and kind but she is so jealous of my dog. The dog's Grandma, Great Grandma to Jack, is not allowed to pet my dog. If she does Bonnie humps him, the only dog she has ever humped. She is obviously jealous (resource guarding if you like) so what might she be like with the baby? So far all is OK but Jack is so young, what happens when he becomes more mobile? My own dog has met Jack but I took pains to keep him away when Bonnie was near. And of course I supervised whether she was or not. They are both big dogs too.

Doggone Safe - Home

I suggest anyone concerned with safe dog/child interactions check out the link above. People send emails of cute videos all the time, why not a serious video? Could you send it and ask what she thought? You could approach it from a learning point of view, "Did you know that licking indicates discomfort?" and act like it's news to you as well. Maybe?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

That was excellent! I learned a couple of new things myself!

Seamus and Flynn

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Very good info, Parker did look nervous to me.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Thank you Dog Paddle..I did send the first video via facebook this AM and told her I know she loves her dog and trusts him totally, but if he was hurting, startled, whatever..he's so big he could do serious damage before she could gasp. Also told her sort of what you suggested. It's true. I did not know that some of the things Parker was doing were potential danger signals. I'll be sending her the other video as well. Thank you for posting it. BigBrownDog, thank you for posting the first one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast