16 DOWN 68 TO GO

Thread: 16 DOWN 68 TO GO

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Default16 DOWN 68 TO GO

If you read 15.5 DOWN 68.5 TO GO Uh! Oh!, it hasn't gotten any better in the last 18 or so hours.

I believe that I am now in a stage that is going to last the remainder of the restricted activity period. She thinks she is fine and want to play tug or retrieve. The in the house versions. It is so tough to say no to her and not partake. Her eyes are going to burn holes through my head. I will not give. I will not give in. I went to bed last night saying that to myself.

Outside she seems willing to accept the restrictions of the leash. I had some minor trimming to do in the landscaping this morning. I took her out with me on lead attached to my waist. She was fine with that just being with me. Laying down when I stopped moving to trim a branch here and there. I might have to find more outdoor project that don't require a lot of moving around. I even thought about hooking up the wagon behind the lawn tractor and letting her ride along, but she didn't like that when she was a year old, and I am sure it won't be any better now. I really can't afford to have her jump out of the wagon and take off even once. Hmm! Maybe if I could find a crate that fits in the wagon?

Last night I took her favorite dog bed up to the bedroom and then walked her slowly up the steps. She had a problem with slowly up steps, but we worked it out. Anyway, she seemed happy to find her bed in the bedroom and spent the night. I have to figure out more deals that I can work with her. My problem is that I can see her pent up energy swelling inside her and figuring out a way to expend that is going to be a challenge. The water here is still too cold for me to go in with her on lead. A couple more weeks and we will be doing that on a regular basis.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Try teaching her hide-and-seek indoors. Put her outside a room, hide a treat (first in an obvious place) for her to find, then tell her to seek or find. When she 'finds' the first one, praise her, then repeat but in a different place. Then find a slightly hidden spot, like behind or under a chair, then get progressively more difficult. Challenging her brain will tire her out almost as much as physical activity.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    If you read 15.5 DOWN 68.5 TO GO Uh! Oh!, it hasn't gotten any better in the last 18 or so hours.
    My problem is that I can see her pent up energy swelling inside her and figuring out a way to expend that is going to be a challenge. The water here is still too cold for me to go in with her on lead. A couple more weeks and we will be doing that on a regular basis.
    Not sure how cold the water gets where you are, perhaps you can get a wet suit. The new ones can be pricey, but they also sell used ones that might not be too bad.

J.R. and June

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    Not sure how cold the water gets where you are, perhaps you can get a wet suit. The new ones can be pricey, but they also sell used ones that might not be too bad.
    I don't think they make my size. The ice went out two weeks ago.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

That's not a brain exercise! That's a nose exercise and she amazes me how well her's works.<g>

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

At this point I'll bet you're just glad to see the number of recovery days drop from the 70s into the 60s!

Seamus and Flynn

Jet-ster is offline Member

Oh man, I can only imagine how hard that would be. I bet her recovery is 100 times harder on you than it is on her...stay strong!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Jett

javasmom is offline Senior Member

She's only 2 weeks post op-even if the water was warm enough, it is really too early for swimming.
    If you take her swimming now, even on leash, you risk patellar tendonitis-which can set her recovery back 4-6 weeks and restricts her activity even more. Swimming is NOT recommended until at least 6 weeks post op.
    It stinks, but it is what it is. HK will deal with it.
    Java was only 13 months old when she had her first knee surgery-she had tons of energy. It was hard keeping her quiet-but it had to be done for her own good.

You both will make it through. Just take it day by day.
    Can you lay on the ground with her and roll the ball, making her crawl to get it? Or play hide the carrot with her?
    Sometimes, just laying on a blanket outside and enjoying the sunshine is enough mental stimulation.

I know it's hard, but don't rush it.
    Slow and steady wins this race.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Hang in there beautiful Hershey K....it'll be time to play soon. For now just humor you Mom & Dad by being quiet an calm. Time will pass.
    And........HersheyK's Dad.....we're waiting on today HK fix. How is she doing this AM? Poor baby must be getting bored. If you find more outside jobs where she can tag along at a slow speed and then lay down while you work, not only will she be happy, your yard will look amazing by the time she's ready to play.