Off to the Behaviorist...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to the Behaviorist...

Jet-ster is offline Member

DefaultOff to the Behaviorist...

I decided to go ahead and see a Behaviorist for Jett's separation anxiety. Our appointment is tomorrow at UC Davis Veterinary Hospital. I hope we can come up with a plan and relieve some stress from this poor guy.

I am not sure what to expect. I filled out a 15 page history/questionnaire, submitted several videos and vet records. They scheduled a 3 hr block for him so it sounds like they are going to be thorough which is reassuring.

If anyone else has been to a behaviorist and has any insight or can think of questions I should ask, I would love to hear it.

Otherwise, I have my fingers crossed that something good comes out of this!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Jett

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

judiz is offline Senior Member

I hope you and Jett find success, please let us know what happens.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

That is awesome that you are doing that. I wish you the best of luck.

J.R. and June

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Best of luck, I don't think you could find a better place for help. Please let us know how you make out.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Jet-ster is offline Member

We had our appointment yesterday and they confirmed his separation anxiety. She prescribed Clomipramine with the expectation of weaning him off in the future. Since that takes a while to build up in the system she gave him some Xanax in the event I have to leave him, however, she suggested that he not be left alone during this training period.

She also said that he is an insecure dog and that we need to build his self esteem/confidence. She is a firm believer in NILIF. I was already familiar with that and was using it, so I thought anyway. By nothing, she means NOTHING is free. He cannot even get on the couch/bed without "working" for it. I guess I never really realized how much he gets for free lol. She suggested a minimum of a week of intensive NILIF, from there we can lay off some. This has actually been kind of fun for me, I am really enjoying all of this structured interaction.

She said that I was on the right track with the desensitizing but that I needed to start a few steps back. So we set up a new desensitizing program for him. I am keeping a journal and will have a follow-up in a few weeks.

Now, a few questions:

Part of his desensitizing program is a stuffed king. I have already done this at least 20 times today and I am worried about his weight. Right now I am using canned food (not even a spoon-full per sitting) so it should be fine but I am wondering if anyone has some low cal tasty recipes for the kong. Right now I only need the kong to last 2 minutes but as we work up our time I might need more power

I am also trying to think of some different easy commands for NILIF. He knows most of the basics like sit, lay down, shake, touch and I am interested in learning/teaching him some others. One that I am thinking of but not sure how to teach him is making eye contact. Basically I just want him to look me in the eye on command. Any feedback on how you have taught this would be great...

Thanks!!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Jett

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Try some cottage cheese, low fat plain yogurt, carrots, green beans, apples, etc. Good luck, I have no doubt you will be successful!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Good luck. My dog Blackie was on chlomipramine for excess licking and lick sores for a while. It worked well for her and I was able to wean her off.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

I mix Greek plain non fat yogurt with wet food and or kibble with freeze dried liver sprinkles..

citronella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BellsandBeans View Post
    I mix Greek plain non fat yogurt with wet food and or kibble with freeze dried liver sprinkles..
    mmmm sounds yummy, your dog must love that. I think I will try it too.

I would suggest my spitting method for teaching eye contact but I'm afraid everyone would roll over laughing again
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you went to get help. He'll be much happier in the long run.

As for eye contact, I held a treat between my eyes and said "watch me" Of course she would look at the treat, but that's okay in the beginning . Then treat.

Later on, I would hold my fingers *as if I had a treat* and say "watch me" When she did, she got a treat.

Now I can say watch me, without putting my fingers by my eyes and she will watch.

I can also hold a treat with my arms extended and say "watch me" and she will.

Good luck. They do learn quickly.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast