16 month Keeps Dive bombing the 8 week puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 month Keeps Dive bombing the 8 week puppy

Bazil&Fawn is offline Junior Member

Question16 month Keeps Dive bombing the 8 week puppy

Bazil (our 16 month) came from a big litter and has always loved the company of other dogs, so we have just introduced little Fawn to our home, they love each other but Bazil doesnt seem to realise that he is 5 times bigger than her and dives on top of her like an elephant, or will bumb her over and over with his nose. To me it looks really forceful but she doesnt cry and puppy fights back if he stops the jumping but im worried that he will accidentally hurt her. In the garden he will get a run up and dive on her and this has made her cry but she just runs right after him and if i seperate them they both cry until they are reunited. Is this normal lab behaviour and do you think it will get better when she is bigger?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Chill. They are playing. It's dog play. And they are both so young! This is how they learn together.
    Is it normal lab play? Absolutely.

Enjoy it because you are in for a couple more years of it.

Seamus and Flynn

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

They are playing. My Bruno and Tony always play so rough, I cannot understand how they don't get hurt. I would still worry about the difference in size, 5 times bigger, and break it up when the action gets really rough. Give her a few months to catch up in size. (I'm an overprotective dog mom.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both! I can't wait for the playing when she is bigger!

nicole is offline Senior Member

He can ABSOLUTELY hurt her by playing too rough! I don't allow any real play between babies and big dogs unless the big dog is really gentle and/or laying down.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would just supervise. If the play gets too rough then sepetate for a time out. Emma was 5 when we brought Maxx home and like you, it made me nervous. I also asked the same question and got great advice from Nance, (Paddy'smom - thank you Nance!), and Maxx grew up just fine. Now Emma is NOT a bully but she sure gave Maxx a run for his money, lol!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thank you! there is progress I think Bazil now realises he is too big to go in for the frog splash, so instead he is just tapping her with his nose and running away to be chased! He is sharing a lot more of his toys with her as the days go on and they double teamed on eating my shoe last night so i think they are definatley pals for life now!

bett is offline Senior Member

they must be supervised because even tho it is only play, it's not two dogs the same size and the little one can absolutely, by accident, get hurt.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

It makes me nervous too! Our cocker spaniel puppy Missy and Jaxx are only about three weeks apart in age but the size difference is immense. I watch them carefully and separate them when things get rough. She did limp a couple weeks ago, but I hadn't noticed any rough play, so it could have been something unrelated!

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely supervise, and if it seems to be getting too rough, separate them for a while. Otherwise, let them play.

Just an FYI, separating them for short periods is always advisable from the start to get them used to it. Otherwise, when they get older and have to be separated for any reason, you will have problems. Start with just a few minutes and work up to longer periods. They should each have some one-on-one time with you, and this is a good way to do it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast