Help please...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please...

FE211 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp please...

My two beautiful puppies (Mocha, 7 months old chocolate female and Rocky, 3 months old yellow male) are getting along pretty well; however, Mocha is starting to follow Rocky and imitate him to the point of peeing inside the house (she had not peed inside the house for the past couple of months).
    I am starting to get really worried that instead of Mocha teaching Rocky good manners it is going to be the other way around.
    Does this mean Rocky is the dominant one and should I separate them till they are older?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dominance in animal behavioral science means controlling access to resources (like food, territory or reproduction). Period. It is not about one dog being influential over the other.

I would suspect that there is urine odor in your house that is causing your older puppy to think it's OK to pee there. What are you cleaning it with? You need to use an odor neutralizer (peroxide, white vinegar or Nature's Miracle) to get rid of the odor (which is not detectable to a human nose).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

FE211 is offline Junior Member

I'm not sure what brand of odor remover I'm using (I'm not home so I can't check), It's something I picked up from pet store. But it's not just about peeing, there are other signs too, for example, eating grass and other stuff off the ground when in the back yard which had not happened for at least the past 2 months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is important when you have 2 puppies at the same time that you provide them with separate training time. You are going to have to correct the older puppy when she does things you don't like. There is no reason to separate them so that they don't negatively influence each other - you just have to be in control and teach the behaviors you want to see.

And all Labs eat grass.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

the puppy can ABSOLUTELY teach the older puppy bad habits. at 7 months your older pup was just starting to figure things out and was about to hit the rebellious age (possibly). Adding a puppy ups the energy and exitement in the house (overall).

You may have to seperate them more often and control when they play and when they do not. You will probably have to up the training with the 7 month old AS WELL as doing all the normal training with the puppy and then deal with them when they are together (training with distractions). It's going to take time and patience x1000

most dogs eat grass. it's just something the do.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh and no, they are babies, neither is likely dominant at this point.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have 2 dogs. Ernie is 11 and Tess is 6. They pick up stuff from one and other. Ernie never jumped until I got jumping bean Tess. He started when he wanted something. I thought he is doing it as she gets attention, so he figures he will get it.

Erns is a counter surfer and from the moment Tess arrived there have been bets how long before Tess does it. Along with his other bad habits. On a good note I tried and tried to get her to give me her paw. She refused so I gave up. One day Erns and I were doing it and she did it too so must have been watching him.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Dogs will learn from each other, doesn't matter if it's younger learning from older or vice versa. As well your 7 month old could possibly be entering a rebellious stage all on her own. Diesel started acting like he knew absolutely no commands or house rules when he was about 6 or 7 months old. Agree about this not being dominance.

One of the reasons I think a 2-3 year gap between dogs is a good thing is that you have one well trained mature(ish) dog in the house who can actually mentor the puppy. A 7 month old puppy usually needs a lot of supervision and direction and is often regressing in training at that age anyway. It's why many puppies get rehomed/given up at that age. They can be trying.

It's sort of like having an 18 month old human toddler and an infant at the same time. You are not going to get much of a break for quite a while.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Some dogs (not all) have a strong instinct to "overpee" the other dog's pee spot. If Mocha follows Rocky and pees on his spot right after he did, even in the house, she may just be an "overpeeing" type. My Judy and Duke will not pee until another finishes, then they move in and pee on the same spot.
    At 7 months, Mocha is just learning and too young to teach Rocky. Don't overthink their relationship; you have two puppies to train at the same time. Not easy but you have some good resources here and in time, your effort will be well rewarded whth two wonderful Labs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast