Cleaning Ears

Thread: Cleaning Ears

P. Norts is offline Junior Member

DefaultCleaning Ears

I was checking the puppies ears tonight and in Ueckers left ear is a LOT of black sticky stuff. I could easily remove it with a swipe with my fingernail. What is the best way for me to clean out the ear???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I just use a damp cotton pad (not cotton ball) or a 3ply tissue. I will sometimes moisten the pad with Witch Hazel, but never if I see broken skin or red bumps as it can sting a bit. Whatever you do, don't use Qtips, I wouldn't use your fingernail either. Do it gently, don't rub until you see "clean" skin. Depending on colouring their ear skin is different. Diesel is black so his ears are darker than say a chocolate Lab whose skin may appear pinkish once clean. Is there a bad smell? Yeasty? Could mean an infection, but from what you wrote sounds like just a build up of wax.

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

Doesn't look like coffee grinds does it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

ya it might be an infection.. if its stinky or if they shake their head alot you might want to get them checked for an ear infection
    Kristin

jayson

laika

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I use a thin microfiber cloth to clean the boys ears. Just lay it over your finger, so you can feel what you are doing, and gently insert your finger into the ear as deep as you can without pushing or forcing. Wipe around very gently, do not rub (I usually just turn my finger around once), and then pull the finger (and cloth) out. Place a clean section over your finger and do the outer section of the ear.

I only do this about once a month, and the boys love it, they actually lean into my finger and sort of moan. Googballs!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post

I only do this about once a month, and the boys love it, they actually lean into my finger and sort of moan. Googballs!
    My guy do the same!

I also use a cotton pad on my finger. I use either Listerine, or "the purple stuff".

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I just use a damp cotton pad (not cotton ball) or a 3ply tissue. I will sometimes moisten the pad with Witch Hazel,
    Exactly what I do.

Seamus and Flynn

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I have never, ever cleaned more than the outer ear flap on Jefferson's ears. And he is 10. He has never had any problems with them. My motto is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it."
    Teddy on the other hand has very sensitive ears. I check them weekly, but don't clean them unless it looks like he is getting gunky. If one gunk cleaning doesn't do it--and the ear is gunky again within a day or so, we call the vet and get drops. I tried the purple stuff on him once and he SCREAMED when I put it into his ear. Never again.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have a bottle of ear cleaner I got from our vet. I squirt it in and close the ear flap, squish it around and then clean with a cotton ball. Lots of grime comes out. The ear cleaner wasn't expensive, it smells good and kind of foams a little.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

P. Norts is offline Junior Member

Well, my son took Uecker to the see Dr. Dan this morning and sure enough, ear is infected. Us, mama's suspect when somthing is wong with our babies. He said it came from swimming. He gave him two types of drops and wants to see him back in a one week. Does anyone else love their vet because they are so caring? I do. Thanks for all the responses.