Lab in apartment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab in apartment

texas1992 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab in apartment

Hi y'all,

I'm new to this forum but not to Labs. I have had many labs. Some were hunters and some were just pets. Actually only one was just a pet. Anyway, I'm moving from Texas (I know...don't ask) to Utah. For the first year there I will live in an apartment (2 bedroom). My wife and I have decided that we want another lab. However, I have never had a Lab in an apartment. Everything will be ok for the first 6 months until he gets "bigger". I have been looking online for puppies and have noticed the applications that breeders are having potential owners fill out (which I think is a good thing) but do y'all think that any breeder will sell me a puppy knowing that it will live in an apartment (I don't know that I would if I were a breeder)? Believe me when I say that the puppy will get more loving care than I will, LOL.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Apartment living is really no different than in a house to a dog. They sleep pretty much all day anyways. Providing you are giving him/her ample exercise that the breed requires, I don't see any issue. I've got a full grown Lab (though he is small for the breed standard) living with me in a bachelor apartment. I had to be creative with placement of furniture just to ensure in case he got the zoomies he wouldn't hurt himself We can play tug, even a short distance fetch with a plush ball inside, other than that he chills on the floor on his bed, or on the couch with me, and sleeps with me at night.

As for what a breeder would say about apartment living, I really don't see that being contingent on you getting the dog, it is more so the type of lifestyle (exercise, discipline, care, etc), knowledge of dogs in general and likely the breed in particular that would be the determining factor -- but one of the board breeders will hopefully chime in on that.

One thing about apartments and dogs - make sure you know the rules of the apartment on dogs BEFORE you even start looking for breeders... types of breeds and size allowed and remember that a Lab is a medium breed, not large!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above. living in an apt usually means more work for the human - it is all the same to the dog. house breaking in an ap is going to be tickier for sure.

one issue will be the period until the dog has had all their vaccinations. it will be super tricky to find safe places for the dog to potty and to exrecise and this is probably where breeders will have concerns. and even after, finding safe places to exercise (i.e. it can take a long time to train a good recall so you need safe fenced places to execise).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Our breeder wouldn't sell us a dog if we lived in an apartment or condo without a fenced in yard.

J.R. and June

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    Our breeder wouldn't sell us a dog if we lived in an apartment or condo without a fenced in yard.
    I think that is a tiny bit excessive, what guarantees the dog won't turn into a couch potato & just open the door to put the dog out in the yard, no human interaction type of lifestyle? Though it is the breeder's litter and they have every right to dictate what type of lifestyle they hope their pups will get. I just think that is sad because plenty of dogs live in apartments and have amazing lives, though I agree with Tanya - some aspects of dog training can be more challenging with apartment living... potty, recall, retrieves, etc. and the vaccs is a good point, I know I struggled with that for Diesel and it turned me into freak for being able to spot the teensy tiniest spec of whatever on the ground I wouldn't want my puppy to eat. I don't think I ever looked up while walking Diesel until he was at least 4 months and had "leave it" down pat!

Gemma60538 is offline Junior Member

You're just going to get a heck of a lot of exercise!! :-) I've had labs in apartments but not as puppies...it just meant I walked, and walked, and walked some more and then found dog parks where they could run off leash. Maybe this go-around you could rescue an older one and then add a pup when you get into a house.

texas1992 is offline Junior Member

The dog will get a lot of exercise because I run a lot and my wife walks a lot.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by texas1992 View Post
    The dog will get a lot of exercise because I run a lot and my wife walks a lot.
    It'll be a long time until you can run with the new puppy. He/she will need to be at least 12 -18 months old or you can risk joint issues.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree wih the above - no running until the dog is 18-24 months so you have nearly two years before that is an option. research the topic if you don't agree and talk to the breeder to see what they say (if you research reputable breeder who pdo all health clearances and prove their dogs in a venue like conformation or hunt/field trials.)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast