Your dog on leash, fast walker or lolligagger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your dog on leash, fast walker or lolligagger?

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultYour dog on leash, fast walker or lolligagger?

My previous yellow Lab Rocky was a go go go kind of fellow. I never did totally cure him from pulling on the leash if he wanted to go somewhere. My present Lab Nibbs is just a total lollygagger. He sniffs each single blade of grass for 5 minutes, he searches for anything he can eat along the way, our short around the block walks would last for a half hour if I let him. What total opposites.

What kind of lab on leash do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Jaxx is a sprinter, prancer, and fast walker. My husband and I took him and our cocker spaniel into the trails that our neighbots maintain (Nice wide, flat trails) for a walk. I was walking with Missy. My husband was jogging with Jaxx and couldn't keep up. He's definitely a 'go go go' guy like your Rocky sounds like he was.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff's somewhat a mixture of both but much more a Lollygagger than a sprinter.

In Lawrence, nearby we have a narrow park-like, wilderness area about a mile long that winds next to a stream through our residential area -- it's called the "Naismith Trail," named -- as are many things in Lawrence -- after the inventor of basketball who was KU's first coach. The Naismith Trail has a winding cement sidewalk that's used by many other people walking their dogs, as well as by bicyclists, carriage pushers, etc.

Dogs legally have to be on a leash so, whenever we walk it mornings, that means Puff's human is on a leash, too. Puff treats every pee-mail message left along the way as I imagine an avid reader of the NY Times would read every article -- stopping, sniffing, contemplating and frequently leaving her own pee-mail comment.

That's on the trip out.

Coming back is much easier, much faster -- then Puff trots on ahead, ignoring 99.99% of the scents along the way as if she's "already stopped there, already read & commented on that."

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 06-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Dixie does both, she'll trot beside me when we start out, nose up smelling the morning air, then something will get her attention on the ground and it's nose down, and she has to smell every step until I tell her to come on!

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

"Puff treats every pee-mail message left along the way as I imagine an avid reader of the NY Times would read every article -- stopping, sniffing, contemplating and frequently leaving her own pee-mail comment."

Dee is much like Puff (love the description above Bob). She's usually in a hurry to get into the trails we walk, but once there she likes to take her time and carefully sniff out any new messages......leaving one of her own before she moves on. We do kind of a circle walk, thus we don't pass the same areas twice in one walk. She loves to do a new route with all new smells.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Boo is all about the walk. Just walk. No sniffing, just walking. Walking fast, she pulls. Rush, unlike her name, is a stop and smell the roses and everything in between kinda gal. Never pulls, just mosey's along.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I have 3 and they are all different. One pulls nonstop, one walks nicely and the last one wants the leash as soon as we walk and finally stops trying to get it and will walk pretty good but doesn't miss a chance to pounce in the weeds to see what is in there.

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Mine's just a walker. I guess we've walked often enough that she walks at my speed and doesn't pull. She's all business. Doesn't care about anything passing by.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Our dogs are all of the above as well. They usually want to run when we first start the walk, afterwards they enjoy marking, smelling everything, chasing cats, and saying hello to other dogs (the black lab J.R. cries like a baby when he sees another dog). We also have to keep a close eye on J.R., because he enjoys eating cat droppings. We live by the beach, so there are a lot of stray cats and we worry that he will catch something from them.

Our dogs are 4 years old and 3.5 years old. We have noticed their behavior mature and change as they get older, but I am wondering if they will change a lot as they get older. For example, you see some people who don't have to keep their dogs on a leash and their dog walks along side of them. I would never do this in a residential area as it is dangerous with all of the cars around, but just using it as an example. Will they some day get tired of wanting to chase the cats, or go out of their way to say hello to another dog? Perhaps, this is another post, but I am just very curious what those have to say who have owned several dogs from puppy age to seasoned canine.

J.R. and June

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer is all of those things, but bases it on the leash. Hands-free jogging leash - he knows we're going for a run. Normal leash - he knows he has to heel. Flexi - he knows he can roam and sniff anything he wants to sniff. He pretty much keeps to my pace regardless of what we are doing.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast