2 DOWN, 82 TO GO

Thread: 2 DOWN, 82 TO GO

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Default2 DOWN, 82 TO GO

Who know how long I will keep this going. Bear with me or ignore me.

Pretty easy/lazy day yesterday.
    She went all day right to when I went to bed without pooping a second time. I wrote it off as do to the lack of activity moving things through the system.
    I managed to get some skin and muscle massage in through the bandage. She seemed to enjoy it more than trying to get me to stop. I assume its a good sign.
    She is still avoiding putting that leg down. Hopefully we will get some toe touching tonight after the bandage comes off.

HOWEVER, at 2:30 am, I wake up to a barking dog. No! HK does not bark at night. WTH!
    I try to check her out. She is up and obviously looking for something from me. 'No! I am not waking up at 2:30 am to give you treats. Is that all you woke me up for?'
    She heads for the door.
    So out we go and she empties here system and is ready to head back inside.
    Well, its better than messing in the house, Good girl! But we are going to have to solve this middle of the night trip outside.

The bandage comes off this afternoon. Bye bye pink leg.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

After Java's surgeries I would lay a blanket outside in the grass and take her out on leash to just lay in the sunshine (and share ice cream with me).
    It really lifted her spirits and helped relieve some of the mental boredom for her.
    And it was great to just have some nice, relaxing one on one time with her.

You're only on Day 2, so the meds and anesthesia are still trying to work their way out of her system, which explains the middle of the night trip outside. I remember being outside with Java at 2 am after her surgeries also. Once the anesthesia clears her system and a routine is established the 2 am potty trips should stop.

It WILL get easier!!

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    You're only on Day 2, so the meds and anesthesia are still trying to work their way out of her system, which explains the middle of the night trip outside. I remember being outside with Java at 2 am after her surgeries also. Once the anesthesia clears her system and a routine is established the 2 am potty trips should stop.

It WILL get easier!!
    ^this

The first few days are the hardest, but it will get a lot easier. You'll get used to the new, limited routine and she'll start feeling better. She'll be back to her old self in no time!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Getting used to the routine is the key !

Imagine if you were both still at work Ed.

Poor old Jasper had to stay cooped up after the first two weeks !

kassabella is offline Senior Member

It is still early days Ed. Tess didn't poop or pee for several days and I became very concerned. I hear it is normal.Tess didn't drink much for almost a week so didn't pee much. I think it takes a few days for them to get over the surgery. Tess was touching the ground the night I picked her up. A few days later she held the leg up and again at 2 weeks. I had been letting walk too much on potty breaks.

It is good to share it with us. Each dog and rehab is different, but hearing what others have done helps ease our minds.

It does get easier once you get into a routine.

Colin Tess stayed in the crate the whole 8 weeks except for potty breaks or sitting with me on the floor.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Keep it up as long as you feel like it. Ignore you? Never. Hershey Kisses stole my heart when I saw the name, then when I saw her pictures...well. I hope it gets easier on both of you. Imagine how confused she is right now, too. Poor girl! Kisses for her

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I can follow the next 81 days.

A lot of JLers followed my daily saga of Lewis & Clark.. my old walkabout cats who eventually returned home. I can follow this with ease.

Seamus and Flynn