Labrador Puppies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrador Puppies

XxLabLoverxX is offline Junior Member

PostLabrador Puppies

Hey,
    I'm starting baby-sitting in a while and the pay where I live is very good.I want to buy two dogs but unfortunatley I can only get 1.I am wondering which colour- Black or Golden?I don't care about the genes and stuff.I just want my dog to be obiedent,friendly and a bit hyper.HE has to be friendly because I currently have a golden cocker spaniel.
    Thanks,
    XxLabLoverxX

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

The color of.a dog has nothing to go with their temperament. Buying from a reputable breeder that does all necessary health clearances and proves their dog is what is important. A well bred Lab puppy is a fairly good expense not to mention the cost of vet care, especially in the first 2 years, a quality dog food, etc.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    The color of.a dog has nothing to go with their temperament. Buying from a reputable breeder that does all necessary health clearances and proves their dog is what is important. A well bred Lab puppy is a fairly good expense not to mention the cost of vet care, especially in the first 2 years, a quality dog food, etc.
    Exactly, I wanted a chocolate lab when I got Todd, but he (yellow) was a much better fit for me! No regrets.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Deena is offline Member

I think above advice is crucial, don't buy from a backyard breeder, buy from a reputable breeder. Labs are not cheap, my pups recommended food intake with quality food costs a fortune. I think unless you are good with dog training, such an intelligent dog needs dog obedience training. I own another dog, and previously had a Bischon, both just had my own training, but a few weeks into Marleys training I wish I had done this before.

Long winded, but what colour does your gut tell you? I love all Labs but for me there was only one choice, he had to be black.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by XxLabLoverxX View Post
    I don't care about the genes and stuff.
    You should. You just have to look through these forums to see Labs are predisposed to a multitude of health problems most of which can be avoided with responsible breeding & the appropriate tests done BEFORE any mating takes place.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Yes, gene testing and health clearances on the parents might save you and pup immense grief and expense down the road. A gene test on the parents could absolutely guarantee your pup would not suffer from CNM or EIC. A reputable breeder's health guarantee would provide compensation in the event pup had bad elbows, hips, eyes, heart or temperament and the chances of a pup from such a breeder having these problems at all is much lessened if you know the parents and grandparents and even further back did not have them. Don't sell yourself short, do the best you can for yourself and future with your pup.

Black. There's a saying. "All dogs want to be Labs and all Labs want to be black." I'm kidding, yellow (not golden) and chocolate are fine too.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't know how old you are (OP) but unless you have a steady income (which babysitting is not) you may have a lot of difficulty paying for the regular care and feeding of a Lab. We had someone on this forum just this week looking to raise funds for a 4 thousand dollar vet bill his Lab puppy rang up. The owner was a college student who did not have adequate income to care for his dog properly.

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but pets are not cheap. You have to buy food (and Labs eat a lot) and pay for vet bills (quite a few visits in the first year of life) and pay for medications (flea and tick repellent as well as heartworm treatment).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Just get one puppy.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

About the only advice I can give regarding which color to get is what will work better for your lifestyle. My yellow lab goes to my hubbys work three days a week which is an auto repair shop. In the beggining he was coming home brown with all the stuff he'd come in contact with. I was constantly wiping him down with wipes and the occasional bath when he was exceptionally filthy. He does a lot better now that he's older, not as curious I guess. But I still at times wish we had gotten a black or brown becuase of the shedding and the fur. Black dosen't seem to show as much (I have had many black cats over the years so I've had plenty of experience with black fur).

That being said I found when I was shopping around some colors are more expensive due to what is more in demand. Yellows seemed to be the cheapest. My Siren was one of 5 male yellow pups in his litter. The blacks were already spoken for and we didn't want to wait. And I love him no matter what color he is

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
    About the only advice I can give regarding which color to get is what will work better for your lifestyle. My yellow lab goes to my hubbys work three days a week which is an auto repair shop. In the beggining he was coming home brown with all the stuff he'd come in contact with. I was constantly wiping him down with wipes and the occasional bath when he was exceptionally filthy. He does a lot better now that he's older, not as curious I guess. But I still at times wish we had gotten a black or brown becuase of the shedding and the fur. Black dosen't seem to show as much (I have had many black cats over the years so I've had plenty of experience with black fur).

That being said I found when I was shopping around some colors are more expensive due to what is more in demand. Yellows seemed to be the cheapest. My Siren was one of 5 male yellow pups in his litter. The blacks were already spoken for and we didn't want to wait. And I love him no matter what color he is
    OMG A reputable breeder does NOT charge by colour. OP, be careful if you run into this. IN fact, run the other way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast