Duke is dying to get in the pool... Ramp Ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duke is dying to get in the pool... Ramp Ideas?

TheDuke is offline Junior Member

DefaultDuke is dying to get in the pool... Ramp Ideas?

We have an above ground pool, but a deck that is flush with the top edge of the pool. The pool itself is fenced in so Duke cant get in, but when my family is in there he goes nuts wanting to be in with us (as I would expect)! I am thinking about just letting him in, but need a good ramp. I looked online but didnt seem to find one that looked very good. Anyone have any ideas? I was even thinking about making one... He is a Red Lab that is just over a year old...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Duke - 8 Months

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

You could get one of the big plastic boxes that are designed to be storage in pick up truck beds, and submerge it in the pool so he has something rather large and substantial enough to leap onto to deck from. Once the box is full of water in the pool it will stay submerged. The boxes are available at home improvement stores. If you have to remove the box just turn it upside down while in the pool and lift it out of the water empty. The plastic box also won't hurt the pool liner

-Mike-
    Paramus, NJ

Would you like to buy a vowel ?

TheDuke is offline Junior Member

hmm....good idea. I will try to find some to look at. I am not sure at the moment exactly what you are referring to.
    Last edited by TheDuke; 05-30-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Duke - 8 Months

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
    hmm....good idea. I will try to find some to look at. I am not sure at the moment exactly what you are referring to.
    This is just one example, they come in various shapes and sizes and manufacturers for different trucks and uses. A plastic tote would probably collapse the first time he jumped on it, so these would be a more substantial platform for him

-Mike-
    Paramus, NJ

Would you like to buy a vowel ?

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I bought a doggy dock for my dogs to use on the boat. It would work well in a pool also. It only took once to show them and they were fine.
    I bought this one:
    Dog-On Water Ramps Formerly Doggy Dock Floating Dog Ramp

This one looks like it would work well also.

Portable Floating Water Ramps for Dogs | DoggyDocks™
    Last edited by Jefferson'n'Ted; 05-30-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

kassabella is offline Senior Member

That big container looks better than the ones I tried. Even fill with rocks and water it moved. Then I put a small outdoor table in and held it down each time Erns wanted to get out. After falling in twice I needed to come up with a better plan.

It isn't that fancy, but works. Not sure how long when both of them stand on it. lol

Here is what we did.

tthe rope you see is to hold the platform back so Erns can't get in after telling him to get out. The platform is on hinges so folds back to stop him getting in when he digs under the fence at midnight. Not fancy, but when Erns goes so does the pool.

Last edited by kassabella; 05-30-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Chris, that is ingenius!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    That big container looks better than the ones I tried. Even fill with rocks and water it moved. Then I put a small outdoor table in and held it down each time Erns wanted to get out. After falling in twice I needed to come up with a better plan.

It isn't that fancy, but works. Not sure how long when both of them stand on it. lol

Here is what we did.

tthe rope you see is to hold the platform back so Erns can't get in after telling him to get out. The platform is on hinges so folds back to stop him getting in when he digs under the fence at midnight. Not fancy, but when Erns goes so does the pool.

Chris was kind enough to share this with me a couple of years ago to use for Jazzy. She liked it the first year, but then demanded steps down into her pool(which of course we purchased). DH said the steps cost about as much as the pool, but as Jazzy needs to swim for her hips, it was well worth the price!
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

Dani is offline Senior Member

I never needed a ramp for the dogs when I had my above ground pool that was flush to the deck. They just jumped in (but only when I gave them the okay). I then taught them how to climb out of the pool and up the ladder. They also never swam near the edges or the liner. It was great...except for the hair in the filter and stuff. I eventually got rid of my pool, which I think Rider is still mad at me for.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast