Rough Play
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough Play

FE211 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRough Play

Hi everyone,

We have a 7 months old chocolate lab (Mocha) and a few days ago we decided to get Mocha a little brother, our 10 weeks old yellow lab (no name yet). Mocha is a very active and happy puppy and her excitement level is very high. when she saw the new guy she went crazy, she was just running around and jumping up and down. We did not let the new guy out of his crate for the first hour just so they would get to know each other abit more. Finally came the moment of truth, we let him out and instantly they went at it, wrestling, biting, growling, etc. They seem to be getting along well, the only thing is that we think they play alittle bit too rough and we are concern for the new guy's safety since Mocha is much bigger than him.
    Do you think we should stop their play or let them continue?
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FE211; 05-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

While dogs can sound pretty crazy when playing together, usually it's all in fun and not worrisome. I would watch closely how your 2 puppies play together since the older one is not an adult and probably does not have much self control. You don't want to have his exuberance turn into an injury for your yellow puppy.

In general though, I try to interfere minimally between dogs playing together.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    While dogs can sound pretty crazy when playing together, usually it's all in fun and not worrisome. I would watch closely how your 2 puppies play together since the older one is not an adult and probably does not have much self control. You don't want to have his exuberance turn into an injury for your yellow puppy.

In general though, I try to interfere minimally between dogs playing together.
    But I'm worried they think this is ok with all other dogs and people too...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

My two were crazy together. Both about the same age and each weighed over 100 pounds. It sounded like they were killing each other and they body slammed.

I would just watch to make sure the pup is not overwhelmed. They are both adorable.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FE211 View Post
    But I'm worried they think this is ok with all other dogs and people too...
    Other dogs usually will adequately communicate whether they want to play rough or not. As for how they behave with people, it's your job to train them so that they behave appropriately and are under voice control.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i would monitor closely and force regular breaks.

dog play is rough and i normally let dogs work it out for the most par - but i have found older puppies/teenagers to be totally inapropriate in play with younger puppies often (generally speaking). they often have little control of their big bodies and are very rough with younger smalle pups. i find it to be a bad mach.

so given the ages of your dogs i again recommend close supervision and regular interruption of the play.
    Last edited by Tanya; 05-28-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: a
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions...

Jimmyfan914 is offline Senior Member

You should see Bridger and Wrigley go at it...they have been doing it since they were 6 weeks old. One will let the other know when it is time to chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyfan914 View Post
    You should see Bridger and Wrigley go at it...they have been doing it since they were 6 weeks old. One will let the other know when it is time to chill out.
    That is a very cute picture with the tongue hanging out

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Our dogs are also 6 months apart and when they were little it was pretty NUTS! I worried a lot about the little one and watched them very closely (and interfered as needed). When the baby wanted to take a little break or shamelessly taunt her big brother, she would go under the bed (where he was unable to fit). They never hurt each other and are the best of friends, but I am not sure I would sign up for that scenario again. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast