Question for those with Hooligan labs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those with Hooligan labs

lilypi is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for those with Hooligan labs

If you knew that your pooch would be a hooligan - would you have opted not to bring them home? We are in the process of rescuing a 1 year old chocolate boy...or at least considering it. We are set to meet him this week. Per the rescue, he is best described as a 12 week old in a one year olds body. Very sweet, but no manners/training. He IS crate trained and reportedly doesn't destroy things. He does things like stand on the kitchen table, counter surf, jump on people, etc. The biggest problem is that he has lack of bite inhibition. It is described as totally not aggressive, but much like a puppy nip with the power of an adult. The rescue has a trainer working with him at the foster home and would pay for us to continue with the trainer. He sounds like a wild child with a sweet disposition. I feel very drawn to him, but wonder if we are making a huge mistake oven his behavior stuff. Thoughts?
    Laura & Maddox

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have the best hooligan a person could wish for. At first it was hard going as he was 4 and never been house trained let alone obedience of any kind. I made goals and over the next year ticked them off as we reached them. He would roll over into a crocodile death roll and bite me, get on tables and rip things off peoples walls, chewed furniture, pee on it, pull curtains down, ate my grans ring, and every other thing you could think of he did it.

He has made me laugh, made me cry and most of become my heart dog I would never be without. He is now 11 and his hooligan days are not as many. There are days I wish for the old days. Days I wish he would be young and push chairs to the fence to climb to get the bread I left for the birds or eat his way through a fence thinking it was the way to the sea.

My advice would be take him, work with a trainer, be firm, and consisten and most of love him for what he is.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Hehehe, when I read the word hooligan in the title, Erns was the first thing that came to mind.

If you are prepared for some frustrating days, but want the rewards of a sweet dog that you had to work/train for, go for it! it is not the dog's fault he is a hooligan, is was his former owner's that let him down by not training properly. Hopefully he just needs some firm/consistent training. The good sign is that he is not destructive, that takes a lot more patience!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

He sounds like a challenge and you sound ambivalent. I daresay a good number of young Labs, or any dog, in rescue are exactly like him, formerly owned by people who were unable or unwilling to devote the necessary time to early training. Now it will take more work, time and probably money too for remedial training. It's harder with a 52 week old than with a 12 week old. If you are doubtful about a committment then I say don't do it.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

He's only 12 weeks old, missed out on only four weeks of proper training. I think it is unfair to label him as a hooligan; he's a normal puppy. Until about a month ago, that described my Tony: jumped, bit, wild, countersurfed, etc. Now at 8 months, he never jumps on me, never bites, sometimes countersurfs, still excitable, but always comes when I call, more obedient every day. With Maddox setting an example of proper behavior, my guess is that Mr. Hoolligan can become a gentleman.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If you are ready to put in some work go for it. but as mentioned above, there will be days of tears and frustration. Sounds like the rescue wants to set you off on the right foot with the training. But be ready for the work, it won't happen over night.

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    He's only 12 weeks old, missed out on only four weeks of proper training. I think it is unfair to label him as a hooligan; he's a normal puppy. Until about a month ago, that described my Tony: jumped, bit, wild, countersurfed, etc. Now at 8 months, he never jumps on me, never bites, sometimes countersurfs, still excitable, but always comes when I call, more obedient every day. With Maddox setting an example of proper behavior, my guess is that Mr. Hoolligan can become a gentleman.
    the pup is 1 year old But ACTS like a 12 week old pup
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Went back to re read the post. Yes, a 1 year old hooligan would be a handful...big difference. A 1 year old who was never taught to not bite or jump will be a big challenge. I knew an older Lab who would bite affectionatly...it can really hurt even without breaking skin. Maybe the rescue will let you foster him to see how it goes.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

1 year old is still a very young dog. The fact that you are asking, shows you know what you are going to get. An awesome dog who just needs a little (or some days a lot) of effort. But, if you got a puppy, you'd invest the same effort, no?

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    He sounds like a challenge and you sound ambivalent. I daresay a good number of young Labs, or any dog, in rescue are exactly like him, formerly owned by people who were unable or unwilling to devote the necessary time to early training. Now it will take more work, time and probably money too for remedial training. It's harder with a 52 week old than with a 12 week old. If you are doubtful about a committment then I say don't do it.
    This. Exactly this.

Seamus and Flynn

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Go for it. Nellie was the biggest monster when she was young. Before I rescued her I told the rescue I didn't care about sex, color, or age but wanted a lab with real personality. I got it in spades and would do it again.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast