How much time does your young adult Lab spend sleeping?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time does your young adult Lab spend sleeping?

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultHow much time does your young adult Lab spend sleeping?

Mardi (LabX) sleeps as much as my cats! She is 2 and in good health and definitely not overweight. I live alone and very seldom have company so it is just the cats, Mardi and me all day. The cats won't play with Mardi but they do all get along. I take Mardi out to her fenced back yard and play fetch twice a day now that the grass clumps are no longer a problem and Mardi can't stuff herself with them. She loves to run, either when playing fetch or just for the sheer joy of running flat out. She goes to the dog trainer's for group play from 9-11 Saturday mornings where she never stops running. The trainer says she loves to get other dogs to chase her and she is the fastest dog in the group. Two or three times a week I walk her on a leash in local parks or along the old Erie Canal but this isn't really exercise because all she wants to do is sniff every inch of the places I take her. When I am in Syracuse I take her to the Good Dog Park and she is very active there. I am 69 and definitely not athletic because I have a very bad back. So--Mardi gets some exercise but she certainly isn't running around with an eight year old boy, which she probably needs. I take her with me in the car whenever the weather is cool enough and she sleeps in her crate as long as I am inside the car. If I leave her she sits up and waits for my return, then goes back to sleep. She would probably stay awake if I allowed her to ride with her head stuck out the window but I prefer to have her ride in the crate. I live in a double wide and the house is 44 feet long. When we are home Mardi moves with me where ever I go. If I use the computer, read or watch TV she sleeps on the recliner but jumps up immediately if I leave the room. Around 10 at night she often puts herself to bed in her crate in my bedroom. This is the only time she chooses to leave my side. I let her outside at midnight and 6 AM but she goes right back to sleep. She actually prefers to sleep in her crate until around noon and so do I, but I do sleep in my bed ;-). She really does sleep as much as my cats. Is her sleeping normal? She has managed to gain a little weight ( gets 2 cups a day of Chicken Soup Adult) and is no longer terribly thin and I believe she is in good health except that her stools are always just barely formed and hard to pick up without smearing the ground, no matter what I feed her. Am I worrying too much?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

If her poops are soft then you're not feeding the correct food. I was never able to get firm stools on Chicken Soup. One of the reasons I kept going back to ProPlan after trying other foods.

My adult dogs sleep a lot during the day. They're up for whatever I want to do once I get done, but for the most part they are slugs.

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    My adult dogs sleep a lot during the day. They're up for whatever I want to do once I get done, but for the most part they are slugs.
    This not only made me smile, it was pretty reassuring. Anywhere from about 7 years upward mine are (were) the same. Seamus (10+) still thinks he wants to be really active outdoors but if we go for it when he indicates he's ready to go for it... he's good for 10 minutes or so. Then he wants to slug around some more. I guess he's doing the "let's get active" thing for my benefit. He's so thoughtful.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine would sleep all day and night if I let them. Whenever they are in the house, that's all they do, even the 8 month old pup. Bruno, (almost 6) and Tony play hard outside whenever they are in the yard, but not Judy, 11. Swimming, most warm days in the summer. I walk them for about a half hour in the morning. Bruno and Tony wish they had a runner or jogger walking them, but I'm about your age and they have to walk at the pace of Judy and me. Bruno had soft smelly stools when he was younger and someone on JL forum told me to try Taste of the Wild. It really made a big difference...no more smell and always firm. He has been on it for years now.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx is up, like clockwork, at 6 AM for breakfast, potty and morning walk and then back to bed. Emma has to be coaxed out of bed in the morning and will often sleep until 9 or 10 AM before she gets up for breakfast, potty, morning walk and then back to bed. They usually go out twice a day for free play/fetch sessions which always requires a nap for recovery. They both have a long walk in the evening, after dinner. Both are in bed between 10 and 11. I do wonder how well they nap as both pop up as soon as you move to leave the room. All in all they do sleep more than anything else!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

judiz is offline Senior Member

Hamilton would sleep all day if I let him. I always thought labs were very active dogs but Hamilton is definitely a couch potato. He does get spurts when he would run around the house, jumping on the couch but for the most part, if he can lie on it, he will.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

It's really kind of funny because Mardi is a Dynamo if any play is involved but other than play and eating, she wants to sleep. If I sleep too much I can't fall asleep when I decide to call it bedtime. Mardi can turn the switch just by closing her eyes.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NanM View Post
    It's really kind of funny because Mardi is a Dynamo if any play is involved but other than play and eating, she wants to sleep. If I sleep too much I can't fall asleep when I decide to call it bedtime. Mardi can turn the switch just by closing her eyes.
    Amazing how that works, isn't it.

Seamus and Flynn

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie didn't stop moving until he was about 9. His hips have slowed him down and he does sleep a bit more. I thought he was normal until I got Tessa. My gosh any more laid back she would be in a comma. I am not sure if it is because they are together, but they are usually curled up together sleeping, but ready for action if needed

Funny how they can just flop down and snore.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Until I read this I thought Jack took naps just because he was bored. Now I see he's more or less normal. NanM, those sniff this that and everything walks are very mentally stimulating for Mardi. Mental excercise is important too. My husband & I both have bad arthritis (I'm fighting the need for a full time cane) so we got a "chuck-it". It's a ball-thrower that costs something like $10 on amazon.com. Jack loves it. That thing can throw a ball probably 5 times further than I can myself. He'll run and fetch and run and fetch until we decide he needs to rest. I think he'd go until he collapsed. Also he loves hide & seek games with his toys. Just a thought for you because when I read your post, I got the feeling you were worried Mardi isn't getting enough excercise. From what everyone is saying, sounds like your girl's sleep patterns are right on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast