What to expect with a dog in heat? (help and advice please!)

Thread: What to expect with a dog in heat? (help and advice please!)

Sporin is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat to expect with a dog in heat? (help and advice please!)

In the past, I've always had my dogs fixed at around 6 months of age.

Based on new studies, my Vet (who I trust and who I've worked with for almost 20 years) now suggests we wait until 1 year of age. These studies have shown that allowing dogs to go through a menstrual cycle or 2 does something very positive with their bones and hormones and such and there are lower instances of hip displasia and cancer.

Obviously I want to give our new girl (who just turned 6 months) her best shot at a long, healthy life. We lost our wonderful, 3.5 year old chocolate to a freak spleen tumor in Dec.

I'm not questioning the vet's advice, I plan to follow it.

My question is... what should I plan for as far as a dog in heat? I've never had a female dog who went through heat and other then seeing some doggie feminine products on the shelf at the feed store I'm completely in the dark.

Advice? Tips? I'd greatly appreciate it, thank you.

Last edited by Sporin; 05-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry about the loss of your young boy. Sounds like what one of mine had, hemangiosarcoma.

I agree wholeheartedly with your vet about waiting, as will many others here. I waited until 14 months to have my male neutered. My girl, Macy, was just about a year when I had her spayed.

Do not let her outside unsupervised under any circumstances. Fence or not, males will go to extremes to get to her!! That's #1! Have her leashed when she's out. Macy didn't "leak" when she was in heat, so I bought her pads and a diaper, but I ended up not needing it.

Good luck with her, she's a cutie!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

labby is offline Senior Member

You don't know whether she'll be clean or not, so you can buy men's underwear, turn them around and put the tail through the fly with a maxi pad inside if she's messy. My girls are pretty clean so I don't have to usually do that. NEVER LEAVE HER IN THE PANTS AND PAD UNLESS YOU HAVE DIRECT SUPERVISION!! That means you take the pants and pad off if you crate her for any reason.

She doesn't go outside unless she's on leash with an adult. Girls will forget their own name sometimes when they're in season. They're interested in one thing and so are all the boy dogs who will come for a visit. They can mate through a chain-link fence. If you have children, you cannot let them let the girl in and out. Once she's in season, an adult takes over total care of the dog. You need to be careful that she doesn't get out if one of the kids don't shut the front/back door completely. I personally would confine the bitch either in a crate, a room or an ex-pen during the season.

They are in season 3-4 weeks. They are not fertile the whole time, but unless you do progesterone tests you will probably not know when her fertile time is. So, you treat her as fertile for 4 weeks from the onset of bleeding. I've bred bitches on day 23, after the "books" say their season has ended. Dogs don't read the books.

Once she's out of season for 4-6 weeks, then you can spay her.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

so you can buy men's underwear, turn them around and put the tail through the fly with a maxi pad inside if she's messy.
    Excellent, I love this!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Sporin is offline Junior Member

Thank you for all the excellent advice everyone, it is REALLY appreciated. Sounds like we are in for some work, but it's worth it if it helps our pooch be healthier, longer.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

You are lucky to have such a Vet, one who is aware of all the new research available supporting a later time for spay or neuter. I know you said you trust your Vet but if you want to do some reading yourself there is a good list of articles on spay/neuter here:

Neutering Articles and Information

I'm so sorry for your loss of your boy. I see someone suggests it sounded like hemangisarcoma and you will see in the articles at the list that it is one of the cancers found to be more prevalent in neutered dogs than in intact dogs.