What is your dog like?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your dog like?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat is your dog like?

Bentley-not to friendly with other people,or dogs(family dogs and friends dogs he LOVES but not strange dogs on the street). Doesn't like strangers,petting him. He likes them to just let him meet THEM first not the other way around. Ball crazy. Will do anything and everything for a ball. Pretty much a one person dog. It is pretty entertaining trying to watch my family make him do something. He can be smart sometimes,other times I think he needs professional help. Inside he is very calm and just chill. Outside it is a complete 360 and his switch is turned "on". on a walk he is pretty simple not leash reactive and just hangs back by me. He has a very good on and off switch. Has a prey drive but it is low. He will chase squirells/rabbits/birds ect. but not super crazy about small furry things that move. To clarify he is not agressive to people just likes his space.He tolerates them I guess.

Tank- He thinks everyone(except a few people) is his friend and they all must pet him. He thinks he is 5lb's and will try and sit in your lap. Does not play fetch. He plays grab/run/destroy. He only plays that with stuffed animals. Doesn't chase any other toys. He is a "family dog" and listens to just about everyone(It is cute seeing my 3 year old cousin make him do stuff). Does not have an on/off switch,it is just always on. IN the house he is crazy and outside he is crazy. Has the biggest prey drive,I have seen in any dog I have owned personally. He will chase anything from a leaf to a animal,excuding things I actually WANT him to chase! Whe he sees a rabbit his eyes about pop out of his head.I am not joking they remind me on a paniced horse because he wants it so bad. That is just about with other animals to. Okay with other dogs,depeding on size/attitude. Our walks are not peacful to say the least. He is very leash reactive. He just wants to meet/chase everything. really smart. SOmetimes to smart for his own good,okay a lot of the time. He knows what I want to ask before I say it, learns super fast, and just loves to learn! Really good recall and he is a breeze to go hiking with. Biggest cuddler ever. He will make room just so he can be by you and make you pet him.

So lets see how different our labs are from each other. SInce most see them as "boring" it is interesting to see how different one breed can be from each other.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie thinks he is human so no need to let other humans pat him. Unless they have food. I think part of his anti social behaviour is being set away from humans and locked in the garage his first 4 years.
    He has a couple of favourite friends and loves them. Likes to chat on the phone. He is good on a walk.

Tess..Well Ma Brown loves everyone so much she will walk by people licking their legs. She has been in heaven over summer with toes and legs bared. Quick lick as she walks by. Her tail constantly wags, loves to plonk herself down on me.

Both mine wait for me to come home. Erns bring my slippers as soon as I walk in. Ma Brown goes to the pantry to wait for the treat she knows he will be getting. She misses me a lot and often will go to the bedroom and get clothes of mine, take them to the bed and snuggle up with them until I come home. He walks around with my slippers and sleeps with them if I am away.

Erns didn't like people much when I got him and Tess like men best. She would drag me across the road to see men. I love the way both of them love me as much as I love them.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, let's see.

Seamus, like Paddy: Quiet, observant, problem-solver, friendly on the aloof side, aristocratic
    Darwin: Beagle through-and-through... busy, busy, busy, quite shy to strangers, enjoys being a clown but JUST for me
    Rusty: My sweet dog... never meets a stranger. Gentle to a fault, but those squirrels had better watch out! He's a herder, after all.
    Scamp: Where to begin???????????

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

Laika: loves people/ other animals. She thinks its a crime if someone doesnt pet her and she will let them know.
    Jayson: doesnt like other people as much as he likes his family
    Both ball crazy laika=no off switch. both listen to me but give others problems with listening

ETA: laika is attached to my hip..she always has to be laying on me or laying so close shes practially on me lol
    Last edited by kaykay; 05-23-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio: a giant goof ball that LIVES to retrieve. He greets everyone that comes to the door with a toy, but you can't touch it, just look at it. You have "permission" to touch it when he drops it at your feet. He loves to be on the couch or bed with me, but we can't touch unless he initiates the contact. He keeps a watchful eye over me and always knows where I am. He is my baby. He is brave and courageous and nothing gets in his way, unless there are bagpipes playing. All bets are off then.

Kaity: a gentle sweetheart that has full body wiggles whenever someone says her name or acknowledges her presence. She is our velcro pup and is always touching us. She loves to lick people and can get a bit annoying with it, especially since her breath can be a bit rank. She does not retrieve but loves to steal the item and then prances around for all to see. She's always up for a round of tug-of-war though. She loves all dogs and gets confused when they don't want to play with her. She also loves all people. She is a scaredy cat and has a long list of items that freak her out. Hiding behind mom helps make the monsters smaller though.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx - a sweet Lab, best temperament I have ever been around. Still puppy clumsy but can also be very gentle. Loves EVERYONE and does not understand when someone does not acknowledge and pet him. Loves to fetch and will do so for as long as you will throw his ball. Very smart and LOVES to learn! Very food driven and knows when it is time to eat. Always on the look out for something to chase; bunny, bird, cat, leaf, he is not picky. Fearless and loves to be challanged. Not much of a snuggler but likes to be near you all the time. I love him so much it makes my heart hurt. I just can not imagine having a better Lab.

Emma - (1/2 Lab-1/2 Border Collie) - a very sweet and gentle girl. She loves her family but not fond of strangers and other dogs. A total velcro dog, she MUST be next to someone at all times and loves to snuggle. Very high energy and so graceful. She loves to herd the cats and does the same with her family. Loves to fetch and play soccer. She also loves her stuffed babies and "cleans" her current favorite, a pink piggy, every night before going to sleep. Can be skittish and does not like being left alone. Had issues with thunder storms and fire works before a thundershirt made her fears much more manageable. Smart as can be but does things at her own pace. She is my princess!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Hanna(Lab): She is a very sweet, gentle girl- there is absolutely no mean streak in her. Has always been timid of strange people and dogs, will come up to them willingly more now because she has adapted and just wants to be petted more than anything. Definitely a dog for someone who likes to be close, sitting and lounging with you on the couch, loves nothing more than to cuddle and lean on you 24/7. She also loves to play and act silly with the other dogs. I really think she's one of a kind in the breed and may never find another Lab exactly like her. I can't believe she was passed around when she was younger, going from breeder to two different owners within just a year or so, her last owner didn't have the time for her and obviously didn't take care of her too well as they never took her to the vet to get checked out. She might have also been a breeder dog too, as she has never been spayed yet and I will have to get that done for her.

Sam(GSD): He is still young, very energetic and playful pup. Has a lot more to learn and I have already taught him basic commands and some tricks. Always needs a firm correction and guidance. Much more timid than Hanna as he did not get very good socialization around strange people which is why I cannot take him out in public and now he barks at strange dogs now. I think if it comes down to it, he would do best just being a homebody the rest of his life and looking over our homestead. I seriously want to do protection/schutzhund training with him one of these days because he sure has the drive and bite. So you have to be careful with where you put your hands even playing tug and fetch, his teeth are like the teeth on a saw!

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer . . . My heart dog. He is the sweetest, most perceptive dog I've ever known. He is very lovey, very cuddly, and just wants to touch someone at all times (my husband calls him "the snuggle bunny"). He loves to swim, loves to retrieve, loves to run, loves . . . everything (except the camera). He is rough and tumble when the situation calls for it, and can be as gentle as a lamb when the situation calls for it. He rarely leaves my side, but wouldn't leave my mom's side while she stayed with us during chemo treatments. When she was the sickest, she didn't want anyone to touch her except Bauer. He would snuggle up next to her in bed and just "be there." I love him to pieces for that.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

judiz is offline Senior Member

Hamilton is so sweet but such a baby. He's afraid of flies, rain and storms. He loves to cuddle and lie on the couch, not a fan of toys, nibbles instead of gobbling his food and can hold his urine for hours if it means avoiding going out in the rain. Loves to greet everyone a the door and cries when he sees other dogs while on his walk, not quite understanding why no one wants to play with a big black lab who is jumping up and down like a kangaroo.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    Bauer . . . My heart dog. He is the sweetest, most perceptive dog I've ever known. He is very lovey, very cuddly, and just wants to touch someone at all times (my husband calls him "the snuggle bunny"). He loves to swim, loves to retrieve, loves to run, loves . . . everything (except the camera). He is rough and tumble when the situation calls for it, and can be as gentle as a lamb when the situation calls for it. He rarely leaves my side, but wouldn't leave my mom's side while she stayed with us during chemo treatments. When she was the sickest, she didn't want anyone to touch her except Bauer. He would snuggle up next to her in bed and just "be there." I love him to pieces for that.
    That is so sweet looking after your Mum.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast