Labs being bullied?

Thread: Labs being bullied?

Sadiegrace is offline Junior Member

DefaultLabs being bullied?

Are labs personality so gentle and sweet that other dogs see them as weak? I find that dogs tend to "puff up" at Sadie, as if to say "I'M the boss" even when she is just walking by them, not even paying much attention to the. I'm frustrated because I expect other people to control/train their dogs like I do and they don't

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

We took Jack to friends' house a few weeks ago. They have 2 dogs. Both of their dogs are great with other dogs. Jack got out of the truck and the smallest of the friends dogs (some sort of mix, about the size of a beagle) jumped Jack and took him down, snarling and snapping before my feet hit the ground. The dogs owner grabbed him and took him inside the house and no harm was done, but they said the dog had never acted like that before. Jack had done nothing. Just got out of the truck. Jack was unhurt, but it left us all wondering WTH

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Something sounds off to me if all dogs do that to Sadie. If a dog is weak, let's say submissive, then there is no need for other dogs to "puff up". I think I know what you mean by that. I agree there are bully dogs and some might take advantage but it seems very unfortunate that all the dogs you meet are bullies.

Sometimes the dog attracting a reaction is provoking it, unbeknownst to the owner. Staring is quite impolite in doggy language, and many human cultures too. I have also known impaired or ill dogs to attract unwanted attention. For instance yeasty ears, urinary tract infections and anal gland problems, though those might attract more humping than aggression, I think. In one case I know of a one eyed dog that some other dogs attacked. But again, in each example I know of, not ALL the other dogs had a negative reaction, only a few actually. With the exception of the staring dog who was not liked by hardly any other dog. With the staring dog it was very suble but our trainer spoke to the owner many times about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

There are definately bully dogs out there. Perfect example is Dixie at puppy play time. There is one dog there that is a total bully to everybody, but especially to Dixie because she's so submissive. I call her the "Dobie Bitch". She is so big and she is just one year old today, actually, but she plays so rough and is very vocal. She body slams everybody, including humans, slaps you with her paw, jumps on you, head butts the other dogs. Everybody is constantly correcting her, because her human doesn't. Last night the instructor told the lady she better get her under control or all the other dogs were going to shun her from the group. Nobody would want to play with her. I was kind of amused by her choice of words, shun!
    Last edited by joflake; 05-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Its something with your particular dog´s personality I guess, because most Labs are pretty self assured and confident dogs. Many of them are actually the bullies (not aggressive bullies, but humpers and bitey and rough playing dogs).

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I don't think labs generally are more submissive or bullied.

There are dogs taht are bullies, intimidate other dogs with body posture, pinning, etc. But there are some dogs that just seem to brign it out in others. I see some dogs at the park that when they come it, ALL the dogs go after them. I can't explain it, it must be something they emit. But even dogs that would usually NOT exibit that behviour are suddenly being bullies to this dog. In this case - that dog is emitting something settling off other dogs.

But I don't get the "puffing up" when ou walk by. To me it sound more like dogs just barking at a dog/person walking by their property. Have you noticed if this happens when other dogs walk by?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

labby is offline Senior Member

Back when Seamus was intact, he got humped unmercifully by neutered males. They had testicle envy. Seamus is very easy going and looked at me to fight his battle for him, which I did.

Laura

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

Molly is pretty aggressive when she goes to doggy daycare. I think it may be more than she's a puppy so they put her with the smaller dogs and puppies. She has a habit of running straight into other dogs and our cats and trying to push them around. Be interesting to see what she's like when full grown. Hopefully she becomes more friendly.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    Molly is pretty aggressive when she goes to doggy daycare. I think it may be more than she's a puppy so they put her with the smaller dogs and puppies. She has a habit of running straight into other dogs and our cats and trying to push them around. Be interesting to see what she's like when full grown. Hopefully she becomes more friendly.
    Hopefully, you're correcting her behavior. At our doggie day care, they don't put up with that, just like the dobie. she gets corrected by somebody, even if it's not the owner. When she gets really out of hand, she gets sprayed in the face with the water bottle, if that doesn't work, then citronella, if that doesn't work, it's the air horn, which stops everybody in their tracks.