Dog park etiquette: my dog chases the other dogs' balls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog park etiquette: my dog chases the other dogs' balls

banshee is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog park etiquette: my dog chases the other dogs' balls

My Cooper is retrieve-crazy. And she is very fast. Whenever someone throws a ball to his dog, Cooper invariably outruns the other dog and grabs the ball. Cooper will fling herself on the ball so fast that that other dog usually backs away.
    I don't know how to stop her from interfering with the play between other owners and their dogs. Sometimes I'll through a ball to the other dog but Cooper will drop her ball and race after that one too, usually catching it.

What to do???;

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    My Cooper is retrieve-crazy. And she is very fast. Whenever someone throws a ball to his dog, Cooper invariably outruns the other dog and grabs the ball. Cooper will fling herself on the ball so fast that that other dog usually backs away.
    I don't know how to stop her from interfering with the play between other owners and their dogs. Sometimes I'll through a ball to the other dog but Cooper will drop her ball and race after that one too, usually catching it.

What to do???;

Is this an official dog park (dogs off leash)? what is it like? (how big? fenced?)

My take on it (as someone who does dog parks) - dog parks are not a place to play a quiet game of fetch wtih your dog (the smaller ones). You are free to play (but please don't bring your dog's prized fetch toy!) but don't get mad if other dogs go after the ball. Now, for the owner of the other dogs - if your dog gets the ball do get the ball from them (if they don't bring it back to the thrower). If you dog plays keep away then get the toy back and give it to the owner. Now, if the owner keeps throwing it knowing this will happen I won't bother retriever the toy by the third or forth time...

Can you bring a ball and throw your own ball for him?

Does he bring it back to the thrower? If he does, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Labradory is offline Senior Member

That's what dog parks are all about! If you just want to play ball with your dog, you don't need a dog park. Also, you don't bring a toy that you aren't willing to share with the other dogs.They will work it out, some will chase anything, some won't chase anything. They will usually try to engage another dog in play... that's the fun of the dog park.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Did you have an incident? Another owner upset that Cooper took their dog's ball? When I used to take Bauer to the dog park, there was always a group of dogs running in a pack fetching one ball. Another pack fetching balls in the water together. Even dogs that never got to the ball first had fun. I never saw an owner upset about it. From what you explained, it seems like normal dog park behavior.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    Did you have an incident? Another owner upset that Cooper took their dog's ball?
    We don't have any dog parks around here so I don't know the 'rules' necessarily. But I would assume it's sort of to be expected. So long as there are no frustrated owners I don't see why it would be a problem.

As someone mentioned, I don't think I'd take Jaxx to a dog park if I wanted a solo game of fetch with him.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your dog is behaving rather normally. I think if someone wants their dog's ball to only be for their dog, they need to play fetch in their own yard. Anything goes at the DP.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tess does this.I take her ball and she doesn't want it. As soon as Jerry throws the ball for his Lab Tess is off after it. I apologise and he says gives them both a work out so no problem. She sits for the treat he gives his dog too. I take my chuck it and ball in so it doesn't look like I am letting others do all the work and often other dogs like me to throw it for them.

All part of dog park fun.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

You do need to control your dog if she steals the toys or balls all the time. End of story. Id she doesn't listen to you when running after a ball in that environment then what happens if she sees a ball roll onto a street or road? It's also a matter of manners. If she is allowed and welcomed to play with other dogs and their toys fine, if not you have to teach her boundaries.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

I don't bring Mardi's ball because she loves it so much. I am afraid it could start a fight, or result in Mardi losing a precious toy. So far, she hasn't gone after another dog's ball. We play ball at home.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

If we enter the dog park and see just one owner playing fetch with their dog, I will ususally keep Diesel on his leash because (this is just me) I don't want to interrupt what seems like a good time if the dog is retrieving and the owner keeps throwing the ball. But if the owner sees us & motions for us to come over or some other gesture that suggests they welcome the company then I take him off leash. I also wait for the invite because some dogs even though off leash are not dog friendly and only off leash because the owner thinks they are the only ones in the park.

I don't expect anyone to reciprocate this with me, Diesel doesn't retrieve anyways LOL so there would be nothing to interrupt and having another dog for him to run with is the only reason we go to the DP to begin with, I simply cannot entice him with a game of fetch so he gets zero exercise with just me unless I run with him. As for your dog stealing the ball before the other dog gets it, if this happened with us & upset me I would simply take our ball & leave, but I don't see it being reason for anyone to get upset so long as you ensure your dog gives the toy back before you guys leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast