Do you think Adult dogs love cute puppies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Adult dogs love cute puppies?

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you think Adult dogs love cute puppies?

I read somewhere a long time ago that the reason puppies (and babies and most young animals) are cute and deffensless to trigger an "inner" caring response on people. You think the same applies to dogs?

It amazes me time and again the response I see on Misha and Homer towards puppies, and especially scared frightened puppies. They will focus on the scared puppy time and again until finally convincing him to come and make friends. This has happened 3 times with neighbor´s pups when they first arrive. They are attracted to the puppy´s home and then will even whine at them, with the poor pups staying in a corner. I just keep on walking. Same happens day after day, Misha whines at them... after a couple weeks the puppies finally seem to see that they mean no harm at all, they finally approach and become good friends.

This happened today with a young 6ish mo/old yellow Lab pup that a neighbor adopted from a previous terrible owner that never socialized him. I had been trying to get the puppy to come to the gate for a sniff but he was terrified of my 2 Labs (though he approached to sniff Vermont one day I was running with him). I talked to the owner this morning, the pup finally took the courage and approached us, and now... he now loves Misha and Homer. They have done the same with 3 puppies. I call them the "socializers"

All I can say is that these 2 Labs are amazing. They are also great with children and babies despite not living or growing with either. They accepted Vermont immediately and loved him from day one... when I bought my parents their shih tzu Homer was totally hipnotized with the little fluff ball despite the fluff balls rude manners...

You think they are affected by cuteness the same way humans are?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java is terrified of puppies...lol
    She will hide behind me and do anything to avoid interacting with them. She's never had a bad experience with a puppy-I think she's just still traumatized from when we brought Moka home. Moka was a terror and she tormented Java 24/7 for days.....she actually still tortures Java.

Moka loves puppies, big dogs, little dogs and everything in between.
    Java does not like puppies or small dogs (she's been attacked by small dogs multiple times). Java just prefers the big rough and tumble dogs her own size.
    Last edited by javasmom; 05-22-2013 at 07:07 AM.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx loves all dogs and puppies, regardless of their size. He believes that everyone should love him just as much.

Emma does not like other dogs or puppies, other than her siblings that she plays with on a regular basis. I really think Maxx tormented her much like Moka did Java. She is not interested in repeating the experience. When we brought Maxx home she walked on the furniture for the first 3 days! She did finally decide he was ok and they do like each other now.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

There's no wayto tell if they see beauty and cuteness as we do, but I am amazed at how they behave with young children and elderly people. They have hearts of angels.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Java is terrified of puppies...lol
    She will hide behind me and do anything to avoid interacting with them. She's never had a bad experience with a puppy-I think she's just still traumatized from when we brought Moka home. Moka was a terror and she tormented Java 24/7 for days.....she actually still tortures Java.

Java loves puppies, big dogs, little dogs and everything in between.
    Java does not like puppies or small dogs (she's been attacked by small dogs multiple times). Java just prefers the big rough and tumble dogs her own size.
    That is the most confusing post I have ever read!

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Dogs have no idea what the concept of cuteness is. Appreciation of beauty is a particularly human trait.

Most dogs (normal dogs) respond to puppies because they are small and in need of care. Nurturing/protective behavior towards infants benefits the species.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    That is the most confusing post I have ever read!
    I was thinking the same thing!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

When Kodi's litter was born, I would weigh each pup every day. Hoss was usually on the couch, just kind of watching all that was going on. I would hold a pup, and bring it near Hoss as I walked to where the scale was. He WOULD NOT even look at the pup. he would turn his head, and even if I "waved" the pup in front of him, he would turn away. NO WAY was he going to even look at it.

At some point (before they were 8 weeks old), Hoss turned into the best uncle on earth. He tolerated everything. Played so gently with them! All of my kids play very well with pups, and some tolerate the pup's shenanigans more than others.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

LOL its funny to see other dogs reactions.

I guess then my 2 Labs are attracted to puppy cuteness indeed. Homer was so fascinated with my parents Shihtzu when she was smaller than Homer´s head it was funny. I put the pup on my lap and Homer would put his big head on my lap and look at the puppy and let her nibble his nose.

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    There's no wayto tell if they see beauty and cuteness as we do, but I am amazed at how they behave with young children and elderly people. They have hearts of angels.
    Ha! I totally agree with their behavior towards young children being amazing. Rukus is very rough and tumble and always go, go, go.....but when he meets a small child, he gets very slow and wiggly and very gently rubs up against them. It's a sight to behold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast