Anal Glands & Diarrhea

Thread: Anal Glands & Diarrhea

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnal Glands & Diarrhea

I posted last week regarding Dee having a bout of very bloody diarrhea etc. Thankfully that seems much better, but now (8 days after the original bout of diarrhea) she almost constantly smells of anal gland fluid. We've been getting a whiff of this on and off all week and a couple of times they have expressed a fair bit, but this morning when I checked her back end it's almost like she's having a very watery brown slight drainage in that area. Not sure exactly where it's coming from, but it definitely has that nasty anal gland odor. Dee is the first dog I've had that has had issues with her anal glands. She had them expressed by the vet about a month ago and they really weren't that full. She often gets irritated in that area and the hair never grows normally, but any time she starts scooting we get them done. Most times lately when the vet has done them they haven't been full, so it could just be allergy causing the itching. With this constant odor of anal glands I'm wondering what's up. Could it have been triggered by the bloody diarrhea a week ago? Can that affect the anal glands?

She is still on Tylosin (apparently a type of antibiotic) because of the diarrhea and even though that has hopefully cleared up, the vet said to continue with the Tylosin until Friday. Extensive stool tests came back negative for anything. Now she seems to have this very slight leakage of thin brown fluid.....which is much thinner than what normally would come from her anal glands. It's not unusual for her to suddenly express the anal glands on her own, but that's usually only occasionally.....not continually. I'd suspect that they must be pretty empty by now......after a week of them seemingly draining. And of course (Murphy's Law) my regular vet is away this week.

TIA for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sorry I have no advise with the anal glands. Tessa has hers done frequently. She licks a lot due to allergies. I thought I saw something on one of their beds recently and wondered if one had leaked when they both had diarreha.

Recently I read Giardia can cause bloody diarreha. I am not sure if you have had to blood test or not so sorry if you have said you have.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Bumping this due to no replies. I just wondered if anyone had had the experience of their dog having anal glands problems after a bout of diarrhea? Or could this somehow be related to being on the Tylosin....though I'd think this unlikely? She doesn't seem any more tender in that area than usual, but for the past couple of days it just seems that her anal glands are over active. We had to wash her off twice yesterday due to the odor. Other than that she seems fine. Her bowels movements have been back to normal for days. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't think it is the Tylosin as it is widely used by people in the IBD group I lurk in.

I head something about the fibre or lack of it that effects dogs with anal gland issues. Could it be the new food, or having diarreha everything is in over drive?

If she is still tender could she have an inflammed gut/bowel?

A thought could it be the anal glands that is causing the bloody diarreha? It is all so worrying for you.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-21-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    Sorry I have no advise with the anal glands. Tessa has hers done frequently. She licks a lot due to allergies. I thought I saw something on one of their beds recently and wondered if one had leaked when they both had diarreha.

Recently I read Giardia can cause bloody diarreha. I am not sure if you have had to blood test or not so sorry if you have said you have.

Hi Chris, thanks for replying. I guess we were typing at the same time almost. I just thought I'd bump it up because of no replies at all yesterday.

She was checked for giardia and about 7 other things with an extensive stool test that my vet sent away to a lab somewhere. All came back negative. She had the same test a couple of months back when she had diarrhea (no blood in it that time though) and it was negative also. There is some small possibility I guess of a false negative, but my vet said it's pretty accurate. They also checked for parasites.....nothing. She's still on the Tylosin for another 4 days, but the diarrhea has cleared up totally (no diarrhea since last Wednesday)......and I'm hoping won't return when she comes off the Tylosin. He said if she gets it again we will do the same test again and this time try to get a sample while it's really loose......apparently making it even more unlikely to get a false negative. Hopefully the odds of it being on a Sunday (when he's closed) for a third time are pretty small.

I think the diarrhea was a separate issue from the anal glands, but I wonder if the diarrhea could have affected them and if that's what is now causing the weeping. Just wondered if that could happen??? I don't think it could be the other way around......i.e. the anal glands causing the diarrhea. My regular vet is away until next week, but if it gets any worse or seems sore back there I'll take her to someone else. Right now there is no redness or anything, just what seems like a continual slight weeping with occasional obvious thicker anal gland material. It all smells like anal glands fluid. Other than that issue she seems fine....appetite great etc. I feel like between one thing and another I've spent a lot of time at the vet's this year.

Just to add.......She's on a Gastro diet which is supposed to be very mild on the system. My vet suggested we switch her to that for the time being (maybe a month), but I'm wondering if her regular food doesn't suit her any more. This diarrhea just came out of the blue though......and not sure that a food she's been on for a good length of time could cause that. My vet said that if she has the problem with diarrhea again we'll repeat the stool test and then possibly do a biopsy (I think) of the lower bowel. I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts on the anal gland issue I'd really appreciate their imput.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 05-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.

oakley is offline Senior Member

Loose stools won't express the anal glands. She could be having anal gland issues because of the loose stools. Hard stools express the anal glands on the way out.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by oakley View Post
    Loose stools won't express the anal glands. She could be having anal gland issues because of the loose stools. Hard stools express the anal glands on the way out.
    ^that^ Also, I believe it is not normal for the anal glands to express themselves at times others than when they are pooping. I think I would have the vet check that out, it certainly does not sound right.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    ^that^ Also, I believe it is not normal for the anal glands to express themselves at times others than when they are pooping. I think I would have the vet check that out, it certainly does not sound right.
    Oakley and Jackie, thanks for replying. My vet is well aware that her anal glands spontaneously express on their own at times. I don't think this is an unusual thing for dogs who have anal gland issues. I know my friend's dog has this happen also. I get the vet to do them anytime she shows a sign that they might be full and bothering her (i.e. scooting).....though most times he's commented that they weren't really that full. Expressing them spontaneously normally doesn't happen very often, but they obviously don't work as well as they should or it would only be happening a bit with each bm and not aside from that. I know there is a surgery to remove them, but it really hasn't been that big a problem up to now. The unusual thing at the moment is that I keep smelling that fishy smell every so often over the day and she appears moist around that area.....plus it's been obvious a few times in the last couple of days that she had expressed some slightly thicker anal fluid. Her stools are typically very normal and not loose, so not sure why she has any issues at all. Some dogs just do I suppose. The diarrhea she had this past week was basically only two bowel movements before they got back to normal. Previously the few times she's had diarrhea it is has been for one bowel movement and then more or less back to normal with the next one. He did tests in February because it was quite unusual for her to have diarrhea at all. This past week it was that much more unusual because for the first time ever (she's 8) there was blood in it....and it seemed like a fair bit. The anal gland smell etc. has only really been noticable the past couple of days and if it continues I will take her in to see the vet. Unfortunately my regular and long time vet is away until next Monday, so I'll just see how it goes today. I tend to worry too much. I'm just wondering if the diarrhea (two bm's only) could have set something off with her anal glands? I thought maybe someone else might have had some experience with this. Certainly anal gland issues are quite common from what I've read on this site and from what my vet has said, but this just seems different than her usual occasional expressing.....and I thought might be connected to her bout of diarrhea last week somehow.