Pet "friendly" motels????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet "friendly" motels????

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultPet "friendly" motels????

It has been a few years since I traveled with a dog and I just started looking for a week in Maine on the coast, near Belfast. Years ago I traveled with a fierce looking 70 pound Shep/Sibe, then purebred Sibes, and now I will be taking 38 pound Lab/?? Mardi. I am amazed at the prices charged for a dog, almost always 40 pounds or less. My pets are well trained to be polite indoors and not allowed to bark. Most kids would be more trouble! I always carry poop bags. I do allow the dog on the bed but I always bring a comforter from home to protect the bed from dog hair and make them feel comfortable. And--I NEVER have left a dog alone in a motel room. I always put Mardi in a crate in the car so I could even crate her in the motel if asked to do so. Finally, I am very cheap and always look for the least expensive "park at the door" rooms. Motel 6 is my first choice but there aren't any really near Belfast. I just checked the Augusta Motel 6 (an hour's drive from the coast) and they DO allow pets. I have stayed there several times and I guess that is where I will book in June. So much for saving on gas :-(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Have you looked on Petswelcome.com?

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Last edited by Shelley; 05-20-2013 at 01:39 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I remember someone posting about a smartphone app geared toward finding pet friendly hotels. I don't have it, but it might be worth looking into.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Some charge extra for dogs but not all, and most seem to welcome dogs. I would keep looking.
    Here's another with seemingly no charge for pets.
    Cottages in Maine - Oceanfront Vacation Rentals & Motels – Coastal ME Lodging

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I also find that if they charge $10 or $20 a night, they usually just charge you for one night. Bring a soft crate, and let them know how good your dog is when you make the reservation, and that they are used to hotel travel.

Edit to add, if you dog has a CGC or another obedience title, I mention that too.

DefaultComfort Inn is expensive--I have always traveled cheap.

The Comfort Inn is really nice--I watched it being built. When I was working I spent time in ME every June and October. This place is WAY beyond my Motel 6 budget. Years ago when I went to Maine I found run down, older motels who basically had to accept dogs. Over the years, they have been replaced or upgraded, and now charge for pets and are way too costly. For a while, there were old motels that still allowed smoking and allowed dogs. Now, all coastal motels are mostly or entirely non-smoking and more expensive. I don't smoke but I was willing to stay in a stinky room to save money. When I travel I spend as little time in my room as possible and now my major requirements are cheap, pet friendly, have a clean bathroom and WiFi. I guess I find the rates a little shocking because my income has been the same for the past 7 years, since I retired. If I were still working my salary would have increased. I guess motels charge for pets because some people are jerks and let the pets misbehave. I once had a room next to 2 squeaky “Yappetizers” who were left alone from 6 until 10 PM and never shut up. I was sick at the time and absolutely miserable. My big Shep/Sibe behaved perfectly and I never left her alone in the room. I have no idea why the two idiot guys didn't take their dogs with them. I like to feel about my dogs the way I felt about my kids. I love to get compliments on how well behaved they are. I've stayed in Augusta and Bangor before and while it isn't pretty there, the rates and dog acceptance are great selling points. I still have to pay my pet sitter to come in every day to spend time with my two cats.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

We are very fortunate around here many motels/hotels are pet friendly and we have never paid more then 25.00 a night which if my app is right is about 16 pounds. I did have a couple of apps " petfriendly.com" was one of them but I usually just check out the amenities of the motel's we are interested in staying at and find out if they take pets. Most place's will only charge you a one time fee. Sammi goes pretty much everywhere with us and its well worth the money to have her with us.

Wow! I have been staying at the Augusta Motel 6 for quite a few years and I am spoiled by their rates. I think I am suffering sticker shock from looking for coastal, very cheap motels! I checked all the suggestions people sent and I have actually stayed at most of them, but it was a while ago. I can get a room at the Motel 6 for $ 49 a night and pets are free. Many of the motels and cottages in the Belfast area are pretty shabby but their prices have really gone up. I guess I will check the mileage from Belfast to Augusta and consider the cost of the gas for a daily round trip. My time is free and Augusta is an hour away. Back in the 90s I went from NY to CA, no dog, and chose Motel 6 whenever possible. I recall that rooms were only about $16 a night in small towns. Guess I'm getting old. I really do want to take Mardi to Maine because she loves water and is so good in the car. She would have a ball at all the little harbors I know how to find.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

You must have much nicer motel 6's then we do. Most I wouldn't stay in they are usually run down and filthy, at least the one's we've seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast