Dog Park Etiquette... Humping
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Park Etiquette... Humping

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionDog Park Etiquette... Humping

Just curious what your opinions are...

Two dogs from different owners at the DP, one dog starts humping the other. What should the humper's owner do, and what should the humpee's owner do?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

The humper's owner should stop it immediately. If not then the humpee's owner should say something. Politely at first, and if the humper owner still doesn't stop it, then you can any way you can. Yelling at the dog is usually just going to make yours think you're mad at it. Unless you know the dog, I don't suggest taking it by the collar and giving it a shake. Maybe a foot to the ass?

Laura

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

As the owner of a "humper", it is my job to get him to stop. And I do. If the humpee's owner tries to intervene, it usually just amps up the whole situation.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

The humper owner should immediatley stop it. And when I say immediately i mean it.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Humper owner, while calling out something like, "I've got this!" so the humpee owner knows you are in charge of the situation.

Seamus and Flynn

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Thank you! That's what I feel and thought should happen.

At the DP last night, and honestly the first time I'd ever had this feeling before... until I got there, no human was "in charge" I'm not all for the Cesar Millan theory, but you could just tell the dogs were the ones in charge. So I take Deez off leash, we'd played with 1 of the dogs before (there were about 7 there), and he gets circled for the sniff of the new guy and then this full grown Golden Doodle gets on Diesel's back & starts. Diesel is a small Lab so the Doodle's head was basically on top of his, front arms locked right under D's hips & just humping away as Diesel tries to pull away. I look around to all the people there to see who the owner might be and no one appears to GAS. With everything going on with Diesel lately and how stressful just walking him can get, this was the last straw so I zipped it because had I spoken it would not have been polite at all.

I walked over and just took both palms to the side of the Doodle and shoved him off, he ran around, no one claimed him or apologized. Then a few minutes later he climbs on Diesel's back again. Now to add to it a large Lab/Great Dane mix puppy (but still huge) starts getting in Diesel's face to innocently play, but D's personal space is totally being abused, so he snarls at the pup like "back off" tries to do the same to the Doodle and again no one is claiming this dog. So I just shout out "seriously, people?!?!?! GETTT OFFFF!!!!!" and the Doodle did while backing away from me knowing he was in trouble. Poor Deez had a WTF, mom? look and I just said "come on, bud, nobody here has any manners" loud enough for everyone to hear and we left. No one said a word. Unbelievable. If I wasn't so pissed I would have said something more effective & inquiring whose dog that was, but I was just too pissed off. Just can't seem to catch a break lately.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

At the risk of sounding trite or condescending, welcome to the real world. Not everybody plays nice. (No news to you!)
    Do right for Diesel... do right for yourselves. Let the others take a hike... they aren't your pals, they aren't dogs or people you seem to want to spend time with! Right it around or do something different with Deez.

You need to be in charge of this. That is all there is to it.

Seamus and Flynn

Labradory is offline Senior Member

I bring a variety of toys to the DP when we go, I have not encountered this with my girls but have witnessed it. Before leaving, I would have thrown a ball or frisbee to distract them, and tried to get the dogs to run and play.
    I agree with the above post, not everyone is responsible. Leave, find a better time or better park.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

This is why we don't do dog parks. Too many people don't have a clue...

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I guess we were lucky, when my boy was a puppy every humper owner rushed to rescue him from their dog. Including one wonderful woman who leaped, fully clothed, into the pond when her much bigger dog had mine under water.

Now that mine is an adult, 5 years old, I leave it up to him to tell the other dog off. We meet few dogs much bigger than a Lab so I'm not worried about his back being hurt. Or the other dog being hurt. My dog will just growl and snap, sometimes he ignores. One much bigger dog we were warned about didn't try it with him.

One dog he ignored was absolutely precious. We met a small Jack Russel with his family and the dog was blind. When he tried to hump he was too little to reach any higher than my dog's hock so there he stood, legs wrapped around my boy's one back leg, going to town on his hock. Actually below the hock. My boy just looked around at him with a surprised, sort of " are you crazy?" look on his face and we all laughed.

If my dog would not stand up for himself, as yours apparently won't, I'd step in though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast