Please please help both of my labs have been eating poop and they have been on the most expensive dog foods (science diet) and we were recommended to try change the food to something different and this has not helped the situation at all they both still eat poop it got so bad tonight when my you gear lab Heidi projectile vomited and it was all poop how do I stop this it is an awful Habit and the vets said there is nothing I can do! Any help would be appreciated both my labs are 2 and 2 and 1/2
Pick it up immediately. There is no pill or food additive that will fix this - you just have to prevent it by controlling your dog and picking up the poop as soon as it is produced.
Some of them do grow out of it. My chocolate did this when he was younger and does not now. So - I am quite familiar with all the products on the market sold to "fix" this problem and the advice to add pineapple or put cayenne on the poop - none of that works. Don't waste your time. Just pick it up.
BTW - Science Diet may be costly, but it's not considered a high quality food anymore. It was one of the best in the 80's but there are better choices for the same expense now.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
Agree with Sharon, pick it up ASAP! As well, since Labs are mouthy & pick up lots of things they should not, have you taught "leave it" yet? Even with "leave it" you still really just need to pick up the poop right away, it seems to be a very tempting tidbit for dogs that are poop eaters.
Also agree with Science Diet, not the best food. Expensive does not equal best. Some people/vets think they eat poop because they are missing something from their regular diet, not sure if I really believe that, I think it is more so a behavioural thing.
Pick up poop ASAP. Teach "leave it" and that should do it.
Our last english pointer was an unfortunate poo eater. The only time she didn't eat poo (hers or others), was on a raw diet. The instant her and our other dogs were on raw it stopped. We kept them on raw for 3-4 years and later switched to a really good grain free food. As soon as we went back to kibble she started eating it again (grumble).
So while I am not saying raw is THE answer, possibly different foods or improved digestion could help. Digestive enzymes or probiotics for dogs might be a place to look. We didn't try these, but there was a definite connection for her on how well the food was digested for all dogs involved.
I have 2 poop eaters (Vermont and Homer). Homer has an iron stomach and can handle his nasty eating habits, but Vermont gets sick every time. Its a PITA, I of course pick it up as soon as they do it, but they sometimes do it when I´m not at home.
I haven´t been able to find a solution. Yep it is nasty, gross, I don´t have enough words to describe how disgusting this behavior is.
It seems like the better the food the more they actually do it...
My Duke is the only one who does it. What everyone says, remove it before he gets to it. I always cover the yard with a poop pick-up before I let Duke out. Bruno did when he was a pup, but I corrected him whenever I caught him and he stopped, but he is a dog who always wants to please me.
My dogs will eat poop, but ESPECIALLY if one of the boarding dogs is on Science Diet. For whatever reason, the poop of a Science Diet fed dog is apparently especially yummy!
I also agree about the RAW diet. feeding RAW is not for everyone, but if you know what you are doing, the results in improved dog health and behavior can be astounding.
But as far as your question, really the best solution is to pick it up. I have ecollar trained my dogs and can do a remote controlled "Leave It"! But ecollar training is a whole other issue.
Karen and the gang
BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)
Thank you so much for the replies. Both Jet and Heidi were on science diet and I have now taken them off this food and placed them on supercoat for breakfast and dog roll for dinner to see if that helps. I try my bet to collect it before they go anywhere near the poop but sometimes they are quicker than me.;(
I am sorry you have joined the disgusting poop eating club. As others have said the only way is to pick it up and teach leave. Teaching leave doesn't work for us as nothing is faster than a Lab after a favourite snack. Along with all the other things I have tried think it keeps him and the neighbours entertained.
I thought Ernie might stop when he stopped Pred, but sadly no. I don't make a thing about it and he doesn't seem to do it as much with me as he does the rest of the family who make a scene about it.
One of ERns favourite party tricks is to bring it inside when we have guests. Throw it onto the floor and say look at me then eat it. Different food hasn't made a difference either.
One of my labs has been a poop eater for early on. He is on high quality food, Acana. Our vet gave us some powder to put on his food for a but that is supposted to deter them from eating the poop. It didnt work at all. So now we just clean up after both our dogs after they go to the bathroom. This makes for a clean yard and less temptation for my lab. It doesnt work perfect but the majority of the time we are successful.
Hunter & Chrome